Steering problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering problems

I have a 60 Lark convertible. At first I just thought there was a lot of play in the steering but upon looking at the steering box there appears to be a different than normal problem. Looking at where the column attaches to the steering box there is a clamp around the column with a single bolt through it to clamp it tight. When turning the steering wheel with the car sitting still, the column seems to seperate some from the steering box and the box twists some due to the extreme pressure it takes to turn the wheel. Actually the column raises showing some bare metal where it has been ay rest and the box seems to twist under the strain. The play seems to come from the space created with the column raising and the box twisting befor exserting enough pressure to turn the wheels. It takes two men and a boy to turn the steering wheel with the car at rest. I tightened the clamp as much a I dared without stripping the bolt.
    Has any one else had this problem or can offer advice?
    I'm fixing things one at a time and anxious to get her road worthy. It has a salvage title because it was in a flood but was never really submerged. Starts and runs great but some of the electrical connections are coroded and need work. I just found out that I have to pay over $700 taxes on it before I can register it. It already cost me $900 to ship it here from California but considering all things, the car is in really great shape.
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

I think the bolt is the least of the problems. It would appear that there is a serious bind in the steering. Considering that it was in water, I'd start by getting the front up on jack stands and disconnecting the tie rods and start to figure out were the resistance is coming from. The steering box may be full of water and rust causing the problem (likely) or corrosion of other parts could be adding to the problem.

Until you figure out which component/components are the issue, I'd quit forcing it to turn.

However, a 60 vert is well worth saving.

Bob

Comment

Tight Steering

If the Column JACKET clamps are tight at the dash and the one you tightened under the hood, you should move on to the cause of this.

It is going to be the Bearings on the King Pins.
      The center pivot bearings in the crossmember.
      The Steering Gear Box itself, check the semi-fluid grease level.
      Improper Wheel Alignment can also cause hard Steering, as in too much Positive Caster.

From the flood water, moisture and rust have probably occurred inside of these.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks to all that offered advice, it is extremely helpful and I plan to proceed with everyone's suggestions. Eliminating one thing at a time is defiitely the way to go.
        Avantidave
        1978 Avanti II

Comment

Studerich's number 2 suggestion is the one that I have seen the most often.

If you have someone rock the steering wheel while you look under the car, you can often see vertical motion at the bell crank (where the two tie rods meet). That is a heavily wearing spot in the steering system, probably because no one sees the grease fitting recessed into the rear of the frame cross member. A little vertical play here translates to a lot of slop in the steering wheel.

On one of my 50 Commanders, I reduced the steering wheel play from 9 inches to under an inch, simply by replacing the bell crank shaft and bushings.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Also check mounting to frame. I had a gearbox break loose from the frame on a 73 Duster . Its no fun. the stress you are putting out could damage other items.
            Randy Wilkin
            1946 M5 Streetrod
            Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

And don't forget that this steering was engineered well BEFORE the advent of grabby radial tires! Factor in that you're dealing with the heaviest Lark there was, and power steering seems an absolute necessity.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

By the way you describe your column moving it appears to me that there is a possibility that the 3 bolts that holds the column jacket still at the bottom end. If your car has the original steering box, it shows a picture in the manual that there are 3 bolts that holds the plate down that the jacket bolts to. If you want I can try to scan a picture of this so you can see if your bolts are missing. Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

I should have mentioned that on my 60 Lark, the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame were loose. Tightening them really made a difference.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X