Looking for rear bumper for C-Cab pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for rear bumper for C-Cab pickup

I am looking for a rear bumper for my '57 Studebaker Transtar pickup. I am also missing one of the 4 brackets that hold the bumper on. Thanks for any info.

Wish I had one also. lt might be interesting to discuss rear bumpers, since the OEM piece is one of the most difficult to find for a restoration. Did the rears change in '57 when the fronts changed?

It seems the Studebaker C-cab rear bumper was purely decorative and thus few owners paid the option price. Anyone have the documentation as to how much extra for a rear bumper?

Out here in the frozen northwest, I've literally never seen an OEM bumper. Seems all the trucks sold out here were expected to work hard, tow and be able to be pushed from the rear. Thus most trucks were equipped with an aftermarket bumper made from hell-for-stout-diamond-plate steel. It wrapped around the back corners of the bed and attached to the rear fender. The center had a dropped section with a hole for a trailer hitch ball. Thus the buyer got the side step, hitch and bumper all in one unit.

IMHO, they were more functional but less good looking. To my eye, this aftermarket bumper makes the truck look tail-heavy.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Here is a picture of the bumper. I no longer have this bumper. It was accidentally given away. (long story)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1679621

Comment

Best chance in getting a rear bumper is to talk to Dick Lindsay , the bumper guy in Ohio. I set one fella up with him last year for a rear .
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

My truck actually had a big diamond plate wrap around with a tow ball. I removed it and took, what appears to be what you are showing, the front bumper and installed it on the back.

Comment

You might post your truck wants on the studebaker truck talk .

Good luck and happy Easter

Take care

George o

Comment

Is the studebaker truck talk on this forum or another website?

Comment

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

In the event you can't find a factory rear bumper, one from a Ford Bronco works well:

sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

That bumper does look good Dave. What year Bronco did this bumper come from?

On my Champ I have wondered about a Lark front bumper and then adapting a Lark rear bumper for the rear end. As far as C-cab's are concerned I have seen one with bumpers from Brizo (sp?). I thought they looked good.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

My front bumper is from a Champion but it required a little finessing to get it straight enough so the fit would work.

Comment

I thoughjt I would show what he is not looking for. I really hope I can put this truck back on the road before summer. LOL
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just noticeed this one on Craigslist

\'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                          \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Originally posted by snowy_buffalo View Post
                            Just noticeed this one on Craigslist

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...710398195.html
                            It's bent and rusty and some of us can remember when $175 would have included the running truck.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                              It's bent and rusty and some of us can remember when $175 would have included the running truck.

jack vines
                              Bent can be straightened and it's not bent that bad. Rust can be blasted or dipped and painted.

I got mine 5 yrs ago off of Craigslist for $50 from NC and shipped by Greyhound for another $50 to Kansas City. I can also remember 19 cent a gallon gas when I started driving but we'll never see those days again. Agree that price seems high but to those that don't have one is it really?

Was just trying to help find SOMETHING since they seem to be so scarce.
                              \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                              \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Working...
                              X