ID:	1738423Click image for larger version

Name:	cap2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1738424Click image for larger version

Name:	cap1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1738425Y'all know what I mean...I know it's a gas cap. Guessing it's an old Stude accessory. Found it in dad's garage today and it seems to be in good shape. Some pitting in the chrome but it still shines up pretty well. Looks almost new on the inside. I have a guess that it came from a 48 or 49 Studebaker that was abandoned by the Illinois River and sinking into the muck. About 25 years ago on my Uncle's property by Morris, Illinois, between the Illinois & Michigan Canal and the Illinois River there were 5 or 6 cars sinking into the river muck. One of which was the old Stude and I don't remember the model. It was probably a 48 or 49 sedan (4 dr.). So, again, WHAT IS IT??? Does anyony need it? NO KEY! I'll ask dad if it can be donated or sold.

I have that exact accessory locking gas cap in My stock of 'stuff'. Same shape.....and Mine's missing the key too!!

Comment

I have one also, with key. But they have a constant vent, in other words, they do not seal at all. Might as well stuff a rag into the filler neck.

Comment

Am I correct with my 48-49 theory or is it for something else?

Comment

Could have came from the Stude but it is a Stant cap that fits many vehicles. They are fairly common. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

SO...it's a Stant 'S' not a Studebaker 'S'?

Comment

Yes, the 'S' is for Stant.

Long and proud history since 1898....

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
              SO...it's a Stant 'S' not a Studebaker 'S'?
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yeah I may have an idea of what that is........

This version fits on my '63 Daytona, and yeah, I have a few others like it around here too.....
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Well that's disappointing. I'll bet it ends up in the 'recycle pile'. Can't use it on my Lark. Even if I had a key, there isn't any room in the little gas flap to unlock it.

Comment

I had a different version on the Commander that I used for years, up until I quit driving it. That one flushed mounted to the filler neck and replaced that tiny "zit" version back there. That's the only version that I don't have any keys for either, so just like the other one, I'll put it in the spares pile with the others.
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                    X