1958 Scotsman 2-door . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Scotsman 2-door . . .

I have come across a '58 Scotsman 2-door. I haven't seen the car yet, but from pictures sent via email and a conversation with the owner it seems like a VERY solid car. It's a desert can with ZERO rust on the floors, trunk and frame--I mean ZERO! The car is very straight and runs and stops but has some electrical issues (lights don't work, won't hold a charge, etc.). The seats and headliner are in good shape but there is nothing on the floors--just the steel! Did this model have rubber floors? If so, can replacements be found?

I am toying with the idea of buying this one and setting it up as a part-time commuter car--maybe a couple of times per week. It has the 185 with the straight 3-speed, but I would really want to make this an OD car, which seems like a pretty straightforward swap--the OD tranny with bolt up to the same bellhousing, right? and then with some wiring and a new driveshaft I should be good to go? Never done this, so I'm shooting in the dark here.

Also, has anyone here put a Vintage Air system on a flathead? Dumb idea?

Anyway, I'm looking at the car tomorrow afternoon. I think it can be had for $1500--maybe a bit less . . .

Anything I should look for?

THANKS!

Rubber mats were factory and would have dry rotted long ago in the desert. Adding AC would not be a problem, but it sure would be a slow ride.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Rubber mats were factory and would have dry rotted long ago in the desert. Adding AC would not be a problem, but it sure would be a slow ride.

JDP/Maryland
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      64 GT R2
      63 Lark 2 door
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP
        it sure would be a slow ride. . .
        Slow is OK. I am in commuter traffic most of the time. I rarely hit 50 mph!

Anyway, if I decide not to buy it is anyone here interested? Seems like a pretty solid deal for the price . . .

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP
          it sure would be a slow ride. . .
          Slow is OK. I am in commuter traffic most of the time. I rarely hit 50 mph!

Anyway, if I decide not to buy it is anyone here interested? Seems like a pretty solid deal for the price . . .

Comment

I'd be interested. And I don't care to put air on it.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd be interested. And I don't care to put air on it.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A couple of comments....

The Scotsman was the lowest priced American built car at the time and you will not get any extras (such as carpet, trim, etc.).

While you can add air, as JP points out, it will rob the motor of power. Another consideration is if you are in slow moving traffic with the air "blasting" you may run into overheating problems.

There is a Scotman at a used car lot about an hour from me (I will go by it Saturday on my way to a tractor show in my '62 GT) that has been for sale for at least 3-4 years. The owner is convinced it is worth $3,000 and won't sell it for less. The floors have been replaced and the car smells as if Jimmy Hoffa expired in the trunk.

I KNOW our man Leonard has pictures of it.

Comment

A couple of comments....

The Scotsman was the lowest priced American built car at the time and you will not get any extras (such as carpet, trim, etc.).

While you can add air, as JP points out, it will rob the motor of power. Another consideration is if you are in slow moving traffic with the air "blasting" you may run into overheating problems.

There is a Scotman at a used car lot about an hour from me (I will go by it Saturday on my way to a tractor show in my '62 GT) that has been for sale for at least 3-4 years. The owner is convinced it is worth $3,000 and won't sell it for less. The floors have been replaced and the car smells as if Jimmy Hoffa expired in the trunk.

I KNOW our man Leonard has pictures of it.

Comment

I'd love the car, I have a R2 engine ready for it.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    64 GT R2
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    52 & 53 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd love the car, I have a R2 engine ready for it.

JDP/Maryland
                      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                      64 GT R2
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Allan, There was an artical or perhaps a letter, in Turning Wheels, about putting AC on a 6. I believe it appeared about two years ago. It was a celebration of belts and pullys but it worked. As the owner of your fine '63 Lark Custom, I can attest to the joy of owning and working on a desert car. It's a Detroiter's dream. Hope you can get that Scotsman.

Gary Hildebrandt
                        Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

Allan, There was an artical or perhaps a letter, in Turning Wheels, about putting AC on a 6. I believe it appeared about two years ago. It was a celebration of belts and pullys but it worked. As the owner of your fine '63 Lark Custom, I can attest to the joy of owning and working on a desert car. It's a Detroiter's dream. Hope you can get that Scotsman.

Gary Hildebrandt
                          Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

quote:I KNOW our man Leonard has pictures of it.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"
                            Here is the car Gary is talking about.It is a 57 Scotsman. The dealer told me a few years ago he would sell it for $2,500.00

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:I KNOW our man Leonard has pictures of it.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"
                              Here is the car Gary is talking about.It is a 57 Scotsman. The dealer told me a few years ago he would sell it for $2,500.00

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Working...
                              X