HydroVac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: HydroVac

Have a hydravac on a 64 Hawk with big disc conversion. Cannot tell any difference in pedal with engine running or off. What does the group think about bypassing the unit, leave it alone or have rebuilt. Seems to stop fairly good now. Thanks David

If you have disk brakes and //don't/// have to practically stand on the pedal to stop quickly, then I'd say the Hydrovac is working...

Some say you don't need a booster with Turner brakes, but I have them with the booster bypassed. It would not be a stretch to say that my wife would not be able to stop the car. On the other hand, I know of a nicely done 62 Lark convertible with Turner Brakes and no booster and that car stops almost effortlessly... go figure...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Unless it's leaking internally, I would leave it alone. No need to bypass, as it's a flow thru system....if it is not working it won't hinder braking at all. The brake pedal is different however, and has less mechanical advantage. If you do remove the hydrovac, I would recommend changing the pedal (the metal levers, not the pad where you put your foot).
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

There was a new, improved kit for the GT disc brake Hydrovacs that took away some of the tendency to throw you through the windshield, I have one sitting on the shelf somewhere. Mine is stock OEM disc system and it stops very well but I also don't see any difference between engine running or off, so I have decided not to worry about it. Nothing leaking, nothing broke and I've heard horror stories about inept Hydrovac rebuilders. I have tried pulling a few full simulated panic stops from 100 mph and the car will stop as good as any of my newer vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
          If you have disk brakes and //don't/// have to practically stand on the pedal to stop quickly, then I'd say the Hydrovac is working...

Some say you don't need a booster with Turner brakes, but I have them with the booster bypassed. It would not be a stretch to say that my wife would not be able to stop the car. On the other hand, I know of a nicely done 62 Lark convertible with Turner Brakes and no booster and that car stops almost effortlessly... go figure...
          If all else is equal, the pads may be of different quality? There are amazing differences in pads when it comes to stopping characteristics. If you simply swapped pads between those two cars, you might find the difference is due to the pads.

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
            /Cut/Some say you don't need a booster with Turner brakes, but I have them with the booster bypassed. It would not be a stretch to say that my wife would not be able to stop the car. On the other hand, I know of a nicely done 62 Lark convertible with Turner Brakes and no booster and that car stops almost effortlessly... go figure...
            That would depend on what Car yours is, if not a '62 Daytona Convert. then the pedal leverage, Master Cylinder and the Car weight and balance are NOT the same.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X