Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone need steering wheel retaining nut '34 to '46?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone need steering wheel retaining nut '34 to '46?

At one point I needed a nut to hold the steering wheel to the shaft on my current '37 project. These are 13/16 - 20. Not something findable at Home Depot. Even the boys at Fastenal had never heard of this size. So I went to the industrial supplier where I get most of my tooling and bought a 13/16-20 tap and made a nut by using a big bolt and cutting the threads off to get a hex and then drilling and tapping to make a nut. I then faced it down in the lathe to make a thin nut to fit under the horn contact plate. The chassis parts manual for '36 to '48 lists 8 different part numbers for these nuts (Phantom wheels as opposed to solid spoke wheels etc) I don't know what the differences are, but I'd be happy to make one for anyone who needs it. I'll just make it thin enought to fit under the horn contact plate and go from there. No charge. I like working on the lathe. Tom

Tom
    I would have gladly sent you one for FREE. I know you like making things but sometimes the cost and time must be considered. Do you know how to chase threads on your lathe, if not I'll give a lession next time your in town.
    Jerry

Comment

Working...
    X