1964 Avanti serial number question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Avanti serial number question

A friend in Florida recently purchased a 1964 Avanti. It is R-5379 and black w/red interior. His email says it has it shows 7,250 mi. on the odometer and was first titled in 01/64. He lives in Indiana part of the year and I am not sure at this point where he purchased the car. He says the paperwork shows him being second owner. When he calls I will find out if it is R-1 or R-2, etc. It may be a car I saw in Naples a couple of times. The owner of that particular car was very private and was not a joiner. John said he first looked at the car three years ago. I could not find the car in my register and directory search, but someone else may be able to locate some info. He will probably be calling this week and I will direct him towards SDC, AOAI, and SNM for starters. He lives about an hour from South Bend when he is north. If the number allows someone to provide any history it will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Bob Bryant; 03-24-2013, 08:00 AM.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

That sounds like quite a find. It would be hard to believe that speedo isn't on its second rotation. I really admire anyone that bought a new vehicle and held on to it for 49 years, let alone putting just 7200 miles on it. What type of shape is it in? By all means direct him to both forums, SDC, AOAI and Bob Johnstone's Studebaker Resource pages to aid him in his stewardship of a truly unique vehicle.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

If the former owner happens to be the gentleman I met in Naples he had several cars according to a mutual friend who did the mechanical for him and me. One I saw was a gorgeous 1957 Bonneville cnvt, with FI. The new owner of the Avanti is currently restoring the disc brakes on the Nash-Healey his wife had when they married. My wife was car-less and maybe her parents thought careless! Actually, our second great granddaughter, Graycen, just arrived. The population in Atlantic Beach went up by one.
      Last edited by Bob Bryant; 03-27-2013, 06:20 AM. Reason: Addition to family--off topic

Comment

Just talked with the car's new owner and have a little more history. It was the Avanti that I recalled. The car was sold by Freeman-Spicer and the owner had it for about 20 years. It was then sold at auction and the new owner apparently never titled it. He had some car-related business activity. It has square headlamps, A/C, P/S, and A/T. That person did not like its silver color and the car was painted black. John says by inspection the car's condition appears to fit the mileage indicated, but he realizes that is just an opinion. The person who maintained the collection was the person who did some work on my Avanti and he had mentioned the apparent low mileage on the discussed car. I am sending John the info on SDC and AOAI, as he will be joining. Also, told him about SNM and Bob Johnstone's Resource pages, as suggested.

The Avanti will be more visible in the future. When I joined that club our Avanti was the first. Some more have been added. It must be the addiction is infectious!

Comment

Yes, you are correct about being sold new by Freeman-Spicer. The original purchaser was Charles Rock who was a principal in the Aero Boat Co. He resided in Syracuse, Indiana.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Richard: Thanks for the info. John told me the title he has was to Charles Rock in Syracuse, but he didn't mention Aero Boat Co. I haven't been able to determine if the company is/was a manufacturer or a dealer. Many small companies in the boat and RV industry later folded or were acquired.

Comment

Working...
            X