Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Parts & Info regarding 58-61 & 62-64 C-K Rear Spring Brackets (Front)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Seeking Parts & Info regarding 58-61 & 62-64 C-K Rear Spring Brackets (Front)

It is my understanding that Studebaker shortened the rear spring ahead of the axle in 1958 and the part numbers for the hanger/brackets are the same from 58-61, left side is 1543919, right side 1543918. For 62-64 the part numbers changed again to 1555779 for the left side & 1555778 for the right side.

I want to change the brackets and springs on my 56 Power Hawk frame and "assume" the 58-61 brackets would have the body mount in the same location as my stock brackets. I would like to know the differences between the 58-61 & 62-64 brackets to determine if they were an improved version but the body mount stayed the same. My search on the forum did not turn up this information.

I would like to purchase a set of these brackets, preferably NOS, or some that are in excellent condition that would best fit my application.

Sorry, don't have access to those engineering part drawings at this time, nor have any of those parts for you, but do have a question for you:

What are your current plans for the Shackles at the REAR of those springs? Use the two different lenghts from your '56 Hawk ...or ...switch to all the same length like on '58 Hawks??? TIA

Comment

During your year change interval, the Front and Rear Spring Eye Bushings also changed Diameter.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
        Sorry, don't have access to those engineering part drawings at this time, nor have any of those parts for you, but do have a question for you:

What are your current plans for the Shackles at the REAR of those springs? Use the two different lenghts from your '56 Hawk ...or ...switch to all the same length like on '58 Hawks??? TIA
        I was not aware that there were different lengths. Mine measure 3" center to center on both sides. Is there something I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          During your year change interval, the Front and Rear Spring Eye Bushings also changed Diameter.
          I assumed the bushings would be a different diameter. I will be purchasing new springs to go with the brackets. I was going to refer to previous threads regarding where to buy a set of leaf springs. I would appreciate any new recommendations.

Comment

Larry, rear springs are available from people like Dave Thibeault, S.I, Eaton Detroit Spring and possibly others.Someone here mentioned a place in Kansas somewhere that made up the springs for him but I do not remember the name or town. It would be closer to you. Maybe do a search here. Thibeault may be coming to Colorado Springs as well as S.I. and bring them along, but I have no info to that effect.

Originally posted by Baker54 View Post
            I assumed the bushings would be a different diameter. I will be purchasing new springs to go with the brackets. I was going to refer to previous threads regarding where to buy a set of leaf springs. I would appreciate any new recommendations.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
              Larry, rear springs are available from people like Dave Thibeault, S.I, Eaton Detroit Spring and possibly others.Someone here mentioned a place in Kansas somewhere that made up the springs for him but I do not remember the name or town. It would be closer to you. Maybe do a search here. Thibeault may be coming to Colorado Springs as well as S.I. and bring them along, but I have no info to that effect.
              Frank, thanks for the list of names for springs. This will be a big help as I go forward.

Comment

I'm unsure where to get the front brackets. Have never seen any that needed replacing. Are yours rusted or something? If so, that may be the least of your problems.

As for springs, last year I ordered a set of heavy duty ones from Dave T. and picked them up at the South Bend swap in May, with no shipping cost. Kinda pricey, but work great.

After I ordered from Dave, a couple sets of standard duty, NOS ones came up on here, for much less. But I was already committed to Dave, plus wanted the HD ones.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  I'm unsure where to get the front brackets. Have never seen any that needed replacing. Are yours rusted or something? If so, that may be the least of your problems.

As for springs, last year I ordered a set of heavy duty ones from Dave T. and picked them up at the South Bend swap in May, with no shipping cost. Kinda pricey, but work great.

After I ordered from Dave, a couple sets of standard duty, NOS ones came up on here, for much less. But I was already committed to Dave, plus wanted the HD ones.
                  Do you know how much ride difference there is between the standard and heavy duty? I want a firm but comfortable ride.

My current brackets are in excellent condition. I have read on the forum where the early C-K cars were soft in the rear and that was the reason Studebaker made the changes in '58. While I have the body off the frame I thought I would upgrade to the later model springs that require a bracket change. I also wanted to get the spring eye out of the "pocket" so I can make better use of traction bars if I need to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker54 View Post
                    Do you know how much ride difference there is between the standard and heavy duty? I want a firm but comfortable ride.

My current brackets are in excellent condition. I have read on the forum where the early C-K cars were soft in the rear and that was the reason Studebaker made the changes in '58. While I have the body off the frame I thought I would upgrade to the later model springs that require a bracket change. I also wanted to get the spring eye out of the "pocket" so I can make better use of traction bars if I need to use them.
                    Looking at Shop Manuals for 1956, and for 1959-64, it appears the FRONT spring mount dimensions, and the location of the REAR spring bushing inside the frame are both different, in order to maintain the same wheelbase, while using the two different springs. The 1956 spring is 50" long, and the perch-bolt is centered, at 25" from front & rear bushing centers. The 1957 and later spring is 54" long, and the perch-bolt is 21" from the front bushing center, and 33" from rear bushing center. So for 1957 and later, the front mount bolt is located 4" more rearward, and the rear shackle bushings is located an additional 6" or so, rearward.

I hope the above is clearer than mud. Suffice to say, swapping later type springs onto the earlier frame is gonna be a PITA. If you are doing a frame off anyway, it may be easier to just swap over to a GT frame. Been there-done that with a 56J; it was not that hard, and resulted in a slightly stronger framed and better sprung 56J.

OTOH, I also have a 56J with OEM frame and HD rear springs, and it rides just fine. I don't know where you got the info that the early rear springs were softer than the later ones, but my experience is that they are ALL too soft; that is why I have always ran HD springs on 56Js and GTs. Set up with HD springs, there is no discernible difference between early and late type springs, as far as firmness. HD springs will set either car up about an inch.

The last HD springs I bought for a 56J, were from SASCO, when they were selling repro HD springs, with larger bushings in the front, same as later type springs. That was about five years ago.
                    As mentioned earlier, the last HD springs I bought for a GT was last year, from Dave T. No complaints about either of the above.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      Looking at Shop Manuals for 1956, and for 1959-64, it appears the FRONT spring mount dimensions, and the location of the REAR spring bushing inside the frame are both different, in order to maintain the same wheelbase, while using the two different springs. The 1956 spring is 50" long, and the perch-bolt is centered, at 25" from front & rear bushing centers. The 1957 and later spring is 54" long, and the perch-bolt is 21" from the front bushing center, and 33" from rear bushing center. So for 1957 and later, the front mount bolt is located 4" more rearward, and the rear shackle bushings is located an additional 6" or so, rearward.

I hope the above is clearer than mud. Suffice to say, swapping later type springs onto the earlier frame is gonna be a PITA. If you are doing a frame off anyway, it may be easier to just swap over to a GT frame. Been there-done that with a 56J; it was not that hard, and resulted in a slightly stronger framed and better sprung 56J.

OTOH, I also have a 56J with OEM frame and HD rear springs, and it rides just fine. I don't know where you got the info that the early rear springs were softer than the later ones, but my experience is that they are ALL too soft; that is why I have always ran HD springs on 56Js and GTs. Set up with HD springs, there is no discernible difference between early and late type springs, as far as firmness. HD springs will set either car up about an inch.

The last HD springs I bought for a 56J, were from SASCO, when they were selling repro HD springs, with larger bushings in the front, same as later type springs. That was about five years ago.
                      As mentioned earlier, the last HD springs I bought for a GT was last year, from Dave T. No complaints about either of the above.
                      Thank you for your detailed response. This information helped finalize my decision to scrap the spring swap idea. Since I had the body off it was worth looking at and I learned something new about Studebakers. Thanks Again

Comment

Working...
                      X