Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

65 getting picked up tomorrow and what do i do? I...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 getting picked up tomorrow and what do i do? I...

misplace the title. Son of a B. Tearing things apart trying to find it. I made sure that I had it back when I first put the car up for sale, but now it has gone AWOL! eeee gads!
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Don't worry too much. You're a trustworthy guy. Hopefully if it doesn't turn up he'll still be willing to pay for and pick up the car and get the title later. I mean, if he's doing a full restore on her, it's not like he wants to hit the streets driving it on Monday. You can still write up a bill of sale and use that for the time being.

Funny story: The '60 sedan I owned had a title, but I never saw it. The guy I got the car from didn't have it when I picked up the car. We never got around to getting together to get it. And last week it was passed along to another guy, and that guy is now getting the title transferred straight to him. That situation made me realize why there are so many older cars out there with title issues!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Never fails with me either. I always put something like that in a safe place "where I won't lose it"...and end up losing it. One time I was filling out some VA forms and put my only DD214 copy on the table. I then put the newspaper down on top of them. Then... you guessed it, I later picked up the papers and tossed them along with the DD214. So much for getting that VA form in the mail right away....

Comment

I misplaced my son's social security card about a year ago. I know it's somewhere in my house, but darned if I know where. Fortunately, I have about 12 years before he'll be old enough to need it for a job or a drivers license
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Be sure NOT to loose that valuable information about floor pans in that other thread!!!
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            Be sure NOT to loose that valuable information about floor pans in that other thread!!!
            that info already fell through the floor! lol

Comment

I hate when that happens!!!

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Well there is always the lost Title Form at the Washington Dept. of Licensing, if the seller signs the witnessed affidavit Statement it should be able to be Transferred but I believe you both have to go there.
                Got any old and or current Registration Cards for it?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I usually have all my titles in one place, except when I need one then . When I know I'm going to be selling a car i sometimes (probably unwisely) put the title with the car -like in the glove box or console etc. so I'll know where it is. Just a thought. Of course when I got rid of my Explorer I had to sell as a parts car because I couldn't locate the title (long story about geting another one). Found the title 8 months later in the glove box of my 54 Chevy pickup - a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
                  Dave Hugo
                  Wellford, SC
                  1940 Champion
                  1950 Champion Coupe
                  1955 President Coupe
                  1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

Dont bget started on titles! I always love the Ebay sellers that claim they have Clear Title in hand. What part of Clear Title do they not understand? Title with you as owner and then you sign off on it, not a owner where the title has been jumped three times signed by original owner from threee addresses prior and dated back in the 80s something. Just one of the many experiences!
                    Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

Several years ago I bought a car off e-Bay that had a "clear title". The car was In Wisconsin. I live in Louisiana. When I showed up with cash in hand in full to pick up the car (it was a Cord, so it wasn't inexpensive), I was presented with a title From Oklahoma in someone else's name. The title showed a lien, but in all my experience the title is kept by the lien holder until it is paid off, so I figured that it had to be paid off. When I tried to transfer ownership into my name in Louisiana I was told that Oklahoma was one of those states that allowed the title to be retained by the registered owner and that I would have to obtain a release by the lien holder before I could transfer title. Talk about pucker time. I lucked out when the bank that was listed as lien holder said that, yes, that loan had been paid off, and sent me a letter to that effect that I could take to the Louisiana DMV. I now have a title to that car in my name, but what a nightmare it could have been because every state is different. I'll be more careful in the future. Tom

Comment

From now on I visit the DMV in my county and ask them questions as to proper paper work from the various states that Im buying cars from so I have all the correct documentation to satisfy my DMV when I go to transfer title. It saves alot of headaches and mileage.
                        Tom
                        sigpic

Comment

I had 2 times with a title freak out, almost to the point the first time of blaming the spouse , when it dawned on me we had put all those 'important' papers out in a fireproof box outside the house for 'safe'keeping!

Months later, the second time we sold something and I started to look for the title in our usual file cabinet, it only took me 5 minutes searching before I remembered to go to the safe for the document!! As long as it's taken for you to sell this puppy, REALLY, you thought it was going to go poof! that easily!?

Comment

FOUND IT! For some reason it was in my desk at work. The buyer wasn't scared off and was willing to file for a lost title. Hopefully he will be by this weekend to haul it away!

Comment

Awesome. Great way to start off the year, it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X