No announcement yet.

shift lever replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: shift lever replacement.

I just read BShaw's thread from yesterday about removing a column shift lever. Nobody remarked on the question I'm curious about so thought I'd ask a related question. I found an NOS chrome lever to replace the cruddy painted one in the Wagonaire. The removal procedure seems pretty simple, but is the installation of the new one as straightforward? Just pluck the old one and and stick the new one back in? Or is there something waiting to bite me?
    Also, the chrome lever has a black knob. I have a lovely new ivory knob to replace it with, but I'm unsure how to do that. It doesn't have threads. My old knob on the lever in the car now has always sort of just spun, and I wondered why it has never broken off. It has been cracked and checked for the entire fifteen years I've owned the car, but never actually broke.
    Thanks for reading, and for any advice.
    Kelly

Just break (crush) the old Plastic Knob off with a channel lock pliers and heat the new Knob in Warm NOT Hot Water, it WILL melt!
    Then drive it on with a rubber mallet. These are Press-On with no threads and will sometimes spin after some use.

You should be able to just R & R that lever easily, a bit of white grease or other lubricant on the rubber Grommet may help on re-assembly.

I assume that it shifts well without a lot of slop unlike the one I rebuilt. The hole that the lock PIN goes through usually wears oblong making the Pin work it's way out in use. I had to replace the "Bell" on that one.

If you do not have a loose replacement Knob I would not try removing one to reuse. I and the other Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com have New Knobs.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X