Compliance in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compliance in England

I've had to fit this to comply with the constructions and use regulations for motor vehicles in England were windshield washers (water jets) ever fitted as standard ???

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1738325

Btw its a 50's bullet nose commander

Comment

They didn't have them on Studebakers back then. I doubt in 1950 any car did, you get your sissy butt out and wash them yourself!
      HaHa!

Dean.

Comment

it was an option for my '40 (wasn't so equipped), but Mr. Quinn had a original pic of a '39 Champion with one installed. there are several aftermarket complete kits on ebay now, and a few parts for studebakers also. i think "Studebaker Int'l" has a kit for '53 & up, and parts for '47 - up.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

We had a 48 Olds with washers. Had a glass jar under the hood for a reservoir.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

They were indeed available as an option at the time and SI has a kit to install. In 1950 the reservoir was a glass jar that was held in a bracket on the drivers side inner fender; seen on the right in this photo of a 1951 model. I don't believe it was a standard item until near the end of production in the mid sixties.

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks guys for the info

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                We had a 48 Olds with washers. Had a glass jar under the hood for a reservoir.
                It was still an option on my '64 Daytona Wagonaire and on my '64 Avanti.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

According to the 1950 Truck Brochure, they were available for the truck too...

Comment

My 53 Jaguar XK120 has washer option..

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
                      My 53 Jaguar XK120 has washer option..
                      Is that an option to have them fitted or not fitted ???

Comment

Here's a scan from the 1950 truck brochure - washer blurb is at the upper-left...

Comment

Rooneytoons -

I'm just guessing from your Avatar photo - is your '50 rodded ?

If so, I'm wondering if the modifications from stock production have put you into a class where your vehicle now needs to meet modern compliance standards ?

(Just a wild guess - I'm not even a little bit familiar with British car regulations... but over here, antique cars, and to a certain extent, antique buildings are exempt from modern codes, as long as they remain as-built.)

Frank McM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R Truck Seeker View Post
                            Here's a scan from the 1950 truck brochure - washer blurb is at the upper-left...

You gotta love them old vehicle adverts

Comment

Originally posted by 2R Truck Seeker View Post
                              Rooneytoons -

I'm just guessing from your Avatar photo - is your '50 rodded ?

If so, I'm wondering if the modifications from stock production have put you into a class where your vehicle now needs to meet modern compliance standards ?

(Just a wild guess - I'm not even a little bit familiar with British car regulations... but over here, antique cars, and to a certain extent, antique buildings are exempt from modern codes, as long as they remain as-built.)

Frank McM.
                              Over here we have a once a year test for vehicles that are over three years old although at the end of November last year vehicles pre 1960 don't need to have this test but in the next breath vehicles must conform to the constructions and use regulations , its one of those grey areas that you could take a chance with the police and have your day in court or do your best not to upset them

Comment

Working...
                              X