Searching for fuel lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for fuel lines

I have just purchased a rebuilt carburetor for my 62 Lark 6 cylinder. The existing carb was not the proper one, in fact someone jury rigged a Volvo carb to it. Since I don't have the proper old carb, I don't have the proper fuel lines or fittings to connect the new carb. The fitting for the tube from the exhaust manifold to the auto choke is a flared fitting. The line from the fuel pump to the carb has flared fittings on both ends. I have been to 3 auto supply and 3 plumbing supply and all they have is pre bent tubing with Flare fittings. Does any one know where I can get plain 1/4" stock either copper or steel gas line and an assortment of flare fittings? I live in the nashville, TN area.

Dave
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

Most Auto Parts stores sell straight pieces of 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8" Steel Fuel lines flared on each end with compression Nuts, they usually come in standard lengths 6 inches on up that you can find one to fit, or a bit too long and add some curves or loops to use up the extra.
    I have never heard of "pre-Bent" Tubing.

The other option is to use adapter fittings to convert to a short piece of "slip-on" fuel hose on the ends of the Fuel Line.
    Of course you can't do that with the Choke Heat Tube.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Most Auto Parts stores sell straight pieces of 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8" Steel Fuel lines flared on each end with compression Nuts, they usually come in standard lengths 6 inches on up that you can find one to fit, or a bit too long and add some curves or loops to use up the extra.
      I have never heard of "pre-Bent" Tubing.

The other option is to use adapter fittings to convert to a short piece of "slip-on" fuel hose on the ends of the Fuel Line.
      Of course you can't do that with the Choke Heat Tube.

I saw the straight pieces they had but the ends did not fit the threads on the carb. Actually there are many typs of "pre-bent" lines that are made to specifically fit a certain year and make of vehicle. Since I own a Corvair I tried going to Clark's Corvair Parts to see what they had and most of their fuel and break lines are bent for an exact fit to your year and model Corvair. I may be forced to go to the rubber gas line which I'm not too fond of doing in the engine compartment.
      Avantidave
      1978 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by davette59 View Post
        I saw the straight pieces they had but the ends did not fit the threads on the carb. Actually there are many typs of "pre-bent" lines that are made to specifically fit a certain year and make of vehicle. Since I own a Corvair I tried going to Clark's Corvair Parts to see what they had and most of their fuel and break lines are bent for an exact fit to your year and model Corvair. I may be forced to go to the rubber gas line which I'm not too fond of doing in the engine compartment.

You may have to find the right fitting (brass, or steel) for the carburetor to line and buy a bending (tool) to shape and bend the line to your application. That's what most of us do, since finding the correctly bent to fit lines aren't generally available any longer.
        Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
          You may have to find the right fitting (brass, or steel) for the carburetor to line and buy a bending (tool) to shape and bend the line to your application. That's what most of us do, since finding the correctly bent to fit lines aren't generally available any longer.
          That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I have a flaring tool and a bending tool and can run it in circles if I need to. It's the fittings that nobady seems to carry any more. Studebaker International carrys a very limited amount of parts for a 60 Lark for some reason. They seem to have fuel lines for every model except the 60. The 62 model and up they seem to have plenty of parts. There was a suggestion on a web site that Ace hardware has a selection of flare fittings and Autozone ( the one supply store I didn't try ) carries the 1/4" tubing in rolls. The other thought might be Granger. After that I'm afraid it's rubber hose time. I'm finding That certain parts iare much harder than parts for my Corvair.
          Avantidave
          1978 Avanti II

Comment

Fuel and brake fittings are "car parts"; versus pipe thread plugs and fittings which are "plumbing hardware", used in some places on cars. Hardware stores or places like McMasters Carr don't usually carry the fittings for fuel and brake lines. I've gotten those from Autozone. There are twelve pages of brake line fittings at: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...6?newYmme=true . You can get the correct name for the fitting from your Stude parts book. The fittings are "in the back". It's theoretically possible to call ahead and have your parts waiting when you get there by ordering with Autozone's part #'s. I see that a lot of the brass fittings are sold only in lots of ten, now. That's unfortunate. They have flared lines in different lengths, too.
            Mike M.
            Last edited by Mike; 03-20-2013, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Dave. if I get time tonight I will take a look in amongst some of the fuel system parts I have in a draw. I believe I have an original fuel line for a 62 six cylinder car. Maybe even the choke tube. No guarantees but I did part one out, a 62, for the engine but used a different carb. Len.

Comment

Find a Mom and Pop auto parts store with people who know how to help you. The Autozone type stores don't have people who know beyond what a computer tells them. Also if you have a NAPA try them.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

both Jegs and summit sell it by the 25ft roll.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                    Find a Mom and Pop auto parts store with people who know how to help you. The Autozone type stores don't have people who know beyond what a computer tells them. Also if you have a NAPA try them.
                    Best advice in the post. We have two stores that continue to survive locally because they tied in with a nationwide parts house. Ask at the counter for what you need and one of the folks at the counter will go into the back room and get your fittings. Just ask around, you'll find the one you need. They are my go-to stores locally for parts and advice.

Bob

Comment

Take your fresh rebuilt carb with you to the parts store. They will have adapter fittings to allow the new line to connect to the fitting in your carb. Due to the high under hood temps, I would not consider using the rubber fuel line in place of the metal line. Chances are the fitting in your fuel pump will be the same size as the one in the carb. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                      Auburn, GA

Comment

Had to break down and use rubber but will keep looking for proper fittings and change

[QUOTE=ROADRACELARK;728478]Take your fresh rebuilt carb with you to the parts store. They will have adapter fittings to allow the new line to connect to the fitting in your carb. Due to the high under hood temps, I would not consider using the rubber fuel line in place of the metal line. Chances are the fitting in your fuel pump will be the same size as the one in the carb. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller

I went to NAPA today and got a fitting and a two foot piece of 1/4" steel tube with fittings on each end. I wasn't able to get the proper flare fittings but I pieced everything together, added a fuel filter and had To give up and used some rubber tube. The tube from the exhaust manifold to the choke, I cut off the ferrule used for the pressure connection, and flared the end for a perfect fit to the choke. I was able to get a fitting to attach the distributor vacuum to the carb with a small 1/8" hose. Started it up and it ran great without doing any adjustments yet. Put the new voltage regulator in and will test it out tomorrow. I would like to have had all steel or copper gas lines but as it is, it turned out pretty good. I'll keep looking for the fittings I need to have all steel.
                        I got a lot of useful help from my friends and from the SDC and AACA forums. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.Dave
                        Avantidave
                        1978 Avanti II

Comment

Trying a 'mom & pop' shop is good advice. You could also try a good small engine repair (lawn mowers/tractors) shop or a good motorcycle shop. Best of luck to you.

Joe
                          sigpic

1962 Daytona
                          1964 Cruiser
                          And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by davette59 View Post
                            I have just purchased a rebuilt carburetor for my 62 Lark 6 cylinder. The existing carb was not the proper one, in fact someone jury rigged a Volvo carb to it. Since I don't have the proper old carb, I don't have the proper fuel lines or fittings to connect the new carb. The fitting for the tube from the exhaust manifold to the auto choke is a flared fitting. The line from the fuel pump to the carb has flared fittings on both ends. I have been to 3 auto supply and 3 plumbing supply and all they have is pre bent tubing with Flare fittings. Does any one know where I can get plain 1/4" stock either copper or steel gas line and an assortment of flare fittings? I live in the nashville, TN area.

Dave
                            Dave,

I have several core 62 Carbs. Let me look and make sure the fitting on the carb is in place and you can have one of those. I'll look tomorrow when I get a chance.
                            Bo

Comment

I specialized in carburetors for about 50 years and I don't think I have ever seen one with a thread in where a fuel line could screw into. Usually it is a 1/8" pipe thread on the older carbs. These take a pipe to weatherhead fitting to screw the line into. Some also use the needle and seat as the line fitting, others such as GM have a large fitting which contains the fuel filter but none that I know of ever have a line screw directly into the carb body. Just imagine if you got the line started a bit off kilter you would have a ruined carburetor. Hence all line fittings screw into either steel or brass.
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X