Needing 6 volt battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing 6 volt battery.

My 6 volt battery has died over the winter. What is the most CCA I should expect to find and where should I look for one. What about a tractor battery? Thank you to anyone who can help me.
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Your six-volt battery is classified Group One. I get them from Interstate. Any supplier will know what a Group One is. Tractor Supply will most often have them in stock. Less so automotive suppliers. If your electrical system is properly maintained, avoid going to an 8-volt. You may benefit from a 6-volt battery tender over the winter; or disconnect.
    Last edited by rockne10; 03-18-2013, 09:35 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I wish I could remember the old 6 Volt OEM Cranking AMPS and Cold Cranking AMPS #'s, but I understand that the Tractor Supply places do have the higher AMP rated Batteries, most Parts Store units are low rated for the more common use of Group 1 Batteries, which is old Volkswagen Bugs.

I think the last time I checked the Interstate Battery ratings were not that great.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just put a Bond brand 6 volt battery in my Champion. It is 640 CCA and 800 CCA at 35 deg. Whatever that means. She cranks over quite well now.
        Dave Pink
        Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
        1925 ER Tourer
        1925 Panel Delivery
        1953 Champion Sedan
        1957 Golden Hawk
        1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
        http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

HI Dave that's good the battery cranks the 53 over better now.

Comment

Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply, Farm King or Big 'R' if you have any of those in your area should carry a decent 6v battery. I have had my best luck with Interstate Batteries. I have a distributor near me so getting one is no problem. If you're not near a distributor, any reputable interstate dealer should be able to order you one and have it in a few days.

Comment

My NAPA store carries them. Says they sell them to big rigs where they wire four together for 24V. Mine has been in use for over five years and still going strong.
              Rick
              Kingman, AZ

Comment

Sears sells 6v batteries. I have one in my Model A Ford and it's been terrific.
                Also, Pepboys sells 6v batteries too.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hi Ash, good to see you on the forum. Yes the battery fixed my starting problems. Thanks
                  Dave Pink
                  Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                  1925 ER Tourer
                  1925 Panel Delivery
                  1953 Champion Sedan
                  1957 Golden Hawk
                  1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                  http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                    Sears sells 6v batteries. I have one in my Model A Ford and it's been terrific.
                    Also, Pepboys sells 6v batteries too.
                    Rog
                    Most of these common 6 volt batteries have enough power for a Model A or VW bug, but not enough for a V8 Studebaker.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jimmie, I have an Optima in the Anglia, it has 1000 cranking amps, 800 cold cranking amps. The Interstate and Tractor Supply batteries always did fine in my 6 volt cars, trucks and tractors while living in Tn. and Al., but the Sears Die-Hards always did just that - -died hard after just a short time. Now, I know Sears "bids out" for their stuff, so the newer ones may be the best in the world now, just my 2 cents worth, John

Comment

6-volt battery suggestions-Thank you to all!

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                        Jimmie, I have an Optima in the Anglia, it has 1000 cranking amps, 800 cold cranking amps. The Interstate and Tractor Supply batteries always did fine in my 6 volt cars, trucks and tractors while living in Tn. and Al., but the Sears Die-Hards always did just that - -died hard after just a short time. Now, I know Sears "bids out" for their stuff, so the newer ones may be the best in the world now, just my 2 cents worth, John
                        Thanks for all the suggestions, now I will start looking into the various companies mentioned.
                        sigpicJimmie
                        Orange County, Indiana
                        1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

I would stay away from a Sears battery. When I worked there a steady stream of people came in every day with bad batteries & their warranty for free replacement always seemed to be by coincidence had expired a month or two before, so they were probably paying in their pro-rate for a new battery & cost Sears zero, plus we had to charge for installation to boot. Their 6 volt battery (which cost over $100 then) had the worse warranty- almost as bad as the cheapest one, the Plus Start which was referred to as the "Push Start" in the shop.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I don't have the exact specifications here in front of me, but I definitely agree that it's best to buy the strongest amperage 6 Volt battery you can get. It not only helps with cranking ability, but they seem to last significantly longer than the cheapest available, in my experience. A tractor supply store or a GOOD auto parts store are both good sources.

Dave Bonn
                            '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

My Speedster has a V8 and about 5 years ago I purchased a "Heavy Duty" NAPA 6-volt battery on the advice of forum members. It's been great with very fast cranking. BTW, the NAPA stores in my area and I think all over give you a 10% discount with an AAA card.

Good Luck, Murray
                              Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Working...
                              X