Looking for new distributor for 62 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Looking for new distributor for 62 Lark

I looked on Studebaker-intl.com and they don't make new ones for my car so at this point my only option is to call them tomorrow and hope they do rebuilds for my 62 Lark with a 259 engine. Anyone else know of where I could get one? Here's the numbers on my distrubutor. I didn't realized the plate isn't supposed to come off that the points are attached to so I guess I broke it. Anyway to fix it without buying a whole new distributor?

Last edited by 62studey; 03-17-2013, 11:25 AM.

I recently purchased and installed a Mallory Electronic Distributor, worked well when I drove the car, see what you can find - it's the way to go unless you want authenticity.

Similar to or maybe identical to this one:
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Probably not as common in OZ, but Stude V8 distributors are thick on the ground here. You can have your choice of Delco, window Delco, Autolite or Prestolite. If it were me, I'd look for an early Delco and put a Pertronix II in it.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Break out the Shop Manual, and follow the directions & pix to fully disassemble that one to figure out what's wrong with it. It may be as simple as a missing screw. It ain't rocket science, and is about on par with disassembling your in home vacuum cleaner to replace the belt. Only deal breakers you may find would be the vacuum advance is inop, or the shaft bushings worn out. Then, you'll need to locate a new, NOS or good used ones. Nothing to lose by at least playing with that one.

Comment

I already ordered a Pertronix for it, but of coruse this had to happen so I gotta figure out how to fix this now. I'd really just like to find a new one or rebuilt, don't have time to mess around with trying to fix on my own. Gonna call Studebaker-intl.com tomorrow and ask if they do a rebuild for mine.

Comment

You may be able to find a local auto-electric shop to rebuild it for you. Those places are getting scarce, but still around.

Comment

It looks like you have somehow been able to break the rotating Vacuum Advance portion of the breaker Plate making this one useless, and the Dist. almost not Rebuildable, without a Used replacement breaker Plate.

One option is a Brand new Mallory Studebaker Distributor from Dave Thibeault, a "Turning Wheels" advertiser.

The most common failure of these Prestolite/Autolite Dist. has not been mentioned, it's the Centrifugal Weights and the upper shaft Assembly "Pins" that they mount on that is usually totally worn beyond saving. It is found UNDER the Breaker Plate.

Your Pertronix Unit is NOT going to fit this Single Point Prestolite, because it is for Avanti Engines with Dual Points.

If you had ordered it from "Turning Wheels" advertiser Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker, you would have been informed that there is no Pertronix Unit for this Distributor.

I do not know if you are an SDC Member or not, but if you aren't this would be a good reason to join up, learn up and not make these common mistakes.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dave Thibeault, who has an ad in Turning Wheels every month, can repair yours or send you an exchange rebuilt Prestolite distributor.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Dave is a good and dependable vendor.

Comment

I am a SDC member. I might just look Dave up but I'm also watching a used one on eBay right now that is said to be in excellent condition. So what Electronic ignition can you put on these single point distributors?
                    Last edited by 62studey; 03-18-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Their isn't a drop-in electronic conversion kit available for the single point prestolite distributor. You will need a delco (window type or not) used in the Stude V-8's from the late 50's until 60/61 if you want a drop-in kit. I recommend you follow the advice given by StudeRich or 41 Frank in posts #7 & 8. Best of luck to you.

Joe
                      sigpic

1962 Daytona
                      1964 Cruiser
                      And a few others

Comment

Networking with some of the SDC Kaw Valley Chapter members in the Topeka/ Lawrence area might be fruitful too.

Originally posted by 62studey View Post
                        I am a SDC member. I might just look Dave up but I'm also watching a used one on eBay right now that is said to be in excellent condition. So what Electronic ignition can you put on these single point distributors?
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Roto-Faze will also build you one.

Not as cheap as the Mallory, but "much" more solid. Uses proper fitted bearings on the shaft rather thAn bushings. Can be had using points or an electronic version. Uses easy to get rotor and cap, the timing is a very easy adjustment also.
                          Plus..there's the "cool" factor when the hood is opened, if that helps.

I've got an older one that needs some help. They are willing to help...as soon as I can get it to them..!

Mike

P.s. - http://www.roto-faze.com/

Comment

Well I guess I'll just stick with the points in this prestolite I'm hoping to get off ebay and just get someone with a Dwell meter to help me set the points right along with the timing and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by 62studey View Post
                              Well I guess I'll just stick with the points in this prestolite I'm hoping to get off ebay and just get someone with a Dwell meter to help me set the points right along with the timing and go from there.
                              Don't need a dwell meter. Just set the point gap carefully. Check the ebay distributor for shaft wobble, due to worn out shaft bushing; a common problem with Prestolites. If it is in excess, gap/dwell will be inconsistent.

Comment

Working...
                              X