Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studded snow tires needed for '64 Daytona convertible.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studded snow tires needed for '64 Daytona convertible.....

Seeing that Christopher got his 1940 Champion out for the season this week, I decided I should also get a Studebaker out on the road and did so today....despite a 20 F degree temperature and lots of snow on the ground. I fired up the convertible (hasnt been run since early October) and took it for a short drive with the top down on the nearby gravel township roads (no road salt used on these roads). With the sun shining brightly, I felt warm enough and I enjoyed the drive despite experiencing terrible traction.

sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

The top down with all that snow seems diametrically opposed, but it makes a great picture!
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I knew we should have stopped over for a visit this weekend.......nothing like a convertible ride on a beautiful 20 degree day!
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

You can still buy studs....
        And Studebaker made a stud injection tool.
        So... To your original header...
        Yes, you can get 'snow tires' "studded" for your Stude.....
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Those first two photos would be great for a TW cover!!!
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I left several pairs of near new (as in little use) studded snow tires on Studebaker rims at my last home. I figured that I would never use them again.

We only had a little snow fall last evening. This Winter, we had snow on the ground continuously from before Christmas until a few days ago.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When I got the trunk open on an old 1964, two-door Commander that I bought in West Virginia (It was last tagged in 1982) I found two studded tires mounted on the wheels. They look good, but evidently are pretty old. Studded tires are illegal in Georgia. I will give them to you, but freight is probably much more than they are worth. You have inspired me. It's a beautiful, warm day here. I think I'll get my Daytona convertible out for a ride.

Comment

I spent yesterday slogging through knee deep snow gathering parts in a junkyard.
                Yes,we are crazy up here.
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                  I spent yesterday slogging through knee deep snow gathering parts in a junkyard.
                  Yes,we are crazy up here.
                  After taking the convertible for a literal spin, I plowed a path into the wooded swamp to cut up some ash trees for firewood which I then hauled up just before sunset and am now burning in the stove. I'd rather work in the deep snow getting some exercise than working out at a fitness club. Working out in the outdoors doesnt require any membership dues.
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks like spring is on the way Brent!

Comment

Most state ban studded snow tires years ago. Don't know how the states enforce those rules,But in Il. not a good idea.

Comment

My friend lives in Williamsport pa and works for a nat gas drilling outfit. His company truck has those studded tires on from November thru April

Comment

We had a Texaco station outside Milwaukee and sold tons of snow tires, and installed the studs in hundreds of them. The last 2 years we were there the state outlawed them, and I can't tell you how many studs I pulled out. I ruined 3 Snap On offset diagonal cutters pulling those studs, but they worked better than anything else I tried. Ahh the memories,LOL, Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by HookedonStudies View Post
                            Looks like spring is on the way Brent!
                            I hope you enjoy the 8 inches of snow you get tonight!
                            See you in July when the ground is thawed out.
                            sigpic

Comment

After visiting MN in the summer, i realized why you have long winters, its so the mosquitos can paint the aircraft numbers back on their wings for summertime flying! Nice looking Lark convertible. Wish it was in my garage!
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X