Good-Guys Show Texas Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good-Guys Show Texas Studebakers

My grandson I spent the day at the Good-Guys Show at Texas Motor Speedway. Great show with hundreds of cars. Only noted the following three Studebakers in attendance.

The first truck picture is a neat custom owned by Talbert Goldman of Meridian, MS.

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

I think the first comment from my Uncle upon seeing this truck would have been, "that thing would do terrible in a field trying to pull a trailer full of cotton to the gin..."

Last edited by 62champ; 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
      I think the first comment from my Uncle upon seeing this truck would have been, "that thing would do terrible in a field trying to pull a trailer full of cotton to the gin..."
      'Bet they've got an app for that!
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

I like the look of the greenish truck with a 55 cab and the early grill. It threw me at first as I didn't see the holes for the original grill but the hood with the Studebaker all the way across looks good with the early grill. I know my dates could be wrong but I think you get the idea of what I'm getting at? Len.

Comment

Only noted the three Studebakers? Is that all there were or all you noted? It seems odd to me that as cool as Studebakers are that there are so few at these big car shows. I suppose I actually like it that way.

I love the looks of the custom one but would never want one like that. It seems the only thing you can do with it is take it to car shows. I much prefer the other truck as it looks like something that is still utilitarian. I like it that they kept the holes for the Transtar grill in the fenders. They also did a great job of matching the earlier hood. It looks a little different but pretty close.

Those trucks just look great any way you do them. That's why mine is my pride and joy. Studebaker hit it out of the park with the C cab. IMHO
          Jon Stalnaker
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

I realize the suspension will 'lift' for driving.....but all-in-all, what's the point of seting a vehicle on the ground like this? Looks? (Ugh!)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              I realize the suspension will 'lift' for driving.....but all-in-all, what's the point of seting a vehicle on the ground like this? Looks? (Ugh!)
              It has to "bagged" or something - drove it on a PA road that low and you would have half of it ripped off in 20 miles... I can say that that the person thought enough of the original Studebaker design that he did not alter it - biggest change I can see it the curve cut out at the bottom of the rear of the bed (aside from the front bumper...)

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                Only noted the three Studebakers? Is that all there were or all you noted? It seems odd to me that as cool as Studebakers are that there are so few at these big car shows. I suppose I actually like it that way.

I love the looks of the custom one but would never want one like that. It seems the only thing you can do with it is take it to car shows. I much prefer the other truck as it looks like something that is still utilitarian. I like it that they kept the holes for the Transtar grill in the fenders. They also did a great job of matching the earlier hood. It looks a little different but pretty close.

Those trucks just look great any way you do them. That's why mine is my pride and joy. Studebaker hit it out of the park with the C cab. IMHO

I went to the Pomona swap meet and car show one day with a guy my wife was trying to get me to be friends with. He was laughing because there were no Stuebakers, because to him no body else likes them so I was a fool to like them. He was looking for a Chevelle and was happy because he had a lot to choose from. He just didn't get it. Needless to say that was the last time I did anything with the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                  I went to the Pomona swap meet and car show one day with a guy my wife was trying to get me to be friends with. He was laughing because there were no Stuebakers, because to him no body else likes them so I was a fool to like them. He was looking for a Chevelle and was happy because he had a lot to choose from. He just didn't get it. Needless to say that was the last time I did anything with the guy.
                  I know what You mean. Chevrolet Chevelles are nice cars.....but to Me they are "Tree Material".....not very interesting....due to the large number of them produced, and still around.

Comment

41Frank & I were at the Goodguys in Scottsdale last week. Very few Studebakers there this time. There was a decent 41 for sale in the swap meet.

Denny L

Comment

I walked the entire show several times and have included the photos of the only Studebakers I saw the entire day, three.
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

That Starlight coupe was for sale at The Decatur, Tx swap meet last month sitting on the same trailer. Tom

Comment

I think this does make the point that if we want Studebaker recognition we need to go to events besides just the Studebaker centric ones. Our chapter had a dozen cars at the recent Sacramento Autorama. If we had not been there there would have been just 3 Studes at the show. A lot of people stopped by and remarked they had not seen that many Studebakers in a long time. Other people who had Studebakers, but were not in the club, were pleased to find others who had them. We recruited a few new members. My point is, we can't really complain about no Studebakers at shows if we are not bringing ours.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Well said Pat.

I often hear - "Studebaker, you don't see those every day". To which I joyfully reply - "I do".
                            Jon Stalnaker
                            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                              I think this does make the point that if we want Studebaker recognition we need to go to events besides just the Studebaker centric ones. Our chapter had a dozen cars at the recent Sacramento Autorama. If we had not been there there would have been just 3 Studes at the show. A lot of people stopped by and remarked they had not seen that many Studebakers in a long time. Other people who had Studebakers, but were not in the club, were pleased to find others who had them. We recruited a few new members. My point is, we can't really complain about no Studebakers at shows if we are not bringing ours.
                              EXACTLY. I know there is a North Texas Studebaker club, but I have never seen any Studes at any car shows in this part of Texas. Not saying I go to every car show, but I think some owners tend to only go to the Studebaker-centric shows, as you mentioned.

My car is FINALLY back together and running after too many months in the garage -- thanks to all who helped with my mechanical problems by the way -- but anyway, there is a big local show (hundreds of cars each month) I will be attending the first of May in which I have also never seen a Stude of any vintage appear, but there will be at least one this time! I will post some photos of the event afterwards...
                              sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                              Regal Deluxe Trim
                              Automatic transmission
                              46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X