Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People in the stude know please read, I could use an opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People in the stude know please read, I could use an opinion.

Now in my bio I state that I'm trying buy a car I've been after since I was a small child, I realalize that I have never stated what kind of car it is, only that its a studebaker. My reason for this is that I'm as parinoid as they come, and I don't trust the internet. If when I go to the owners house cash in hand and find out that someone beat me to the punch, I would always wonder if thay were tipped off by the thread I started, and I would never forgive myself. So for now I will keep everthing on the down low. That being said, it's not the forum members I would suspect, but anyone with a computer can view everthing I post here, and thats what concerns me. But I trust my fellow club members, and my fellow forum members, stude folks really stick together. Cars are one of my biggest passions and I know alot about them, especially studes, but I lack hands on experience with studes the big rust places, the thing to look for, and most of all the value. Not just the really what a cars worth value, but the cars been sittin' 20 years and I have cash value, you know?
    Many of you guys are real world experts on this stuff, and are also extremely nice, and I believe trustworthy. I have already shared the pics, and story with four forum members who were helpful enough to take time out of their day to talk with me. two say run, and two say go for it, so.......
    If you too would be willing to share your expert opinion with me, please I won't forget, even if I don't like what I hear. Feel free to PM me or email me at GTHawkwindR5@aol.com I can email you the pics and story or PM you back with a link to my photo bucket page and the password for the album. I don't mind sharing with my fellow forum member but I'm in a vulnerable postion with this and, as far as I'm concerned they are all out to get me, and yes I know I'm crazy as canadian money.

Thank you, seriously, Daniel(GTHawkwind) Dather

For GT Hawks, start here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=desirable

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
      >>>I don't mind sharing with my fellow forum member but I'm in a vulnerable postion with this and, as far as I'm concerned they are all out to get me, and yes I know I'm crazy as canadian money. Thank you, seriously, Daniel(GTHawkwind) Dather
      And what's so "crazy" about Canadian money??? I've got much of my fortune invested in Canadian dollars!

Comment

LOL! The word "Unpredictable" comes immediately to mind!
        No currency, especially our USD can be valued on past performance in todays World
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Canuck Buck was worth $.63 US just a few years ago. Now it's been close to par. Believe it or not, Canadian $ were more welcome than $US in Mexico last month. Go figure.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
            And what's so "crazy" about Canadian money??? I've got much of my fortune invested in Canadian dollars!
            Don't invest in Canadian pennies - they are outta here!
            Dave Hugo
            Wellford, SC
            1940 Champion
            1950 Champion Coupe
            1955 President Coupe
            1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

Well, Dan. First thing you should know is that if you are going to bring a C/K back to the road, SDC is the best support you can find. Even if you do all the work yourself, it may still cost more than the car's market value. Still, you will know the car and if it's what you want, you can do it. Finding one already on the road will save you big time. Turning Wheels' classified is a great place to look. I wanted my particular model to replace one I had 30 years ago and lost because I owed money and was leaving the country. Now I can pay my bills and was lucky enough to have a business that can use the car and expense the costs. It cost me over $50,000, appraised in at $30,000 and when I'm dead my staff will sell it for $20,000. Every nut and bolt, every panel, every shiny bit...was replaced. I see great cars for about $12,000 in TW and if I had to do it again, that's where I would be looking. If it's already on the road and you just want a driver, you won't need to get as deep into as I did.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Daniel, to your thread - RUST is the main issue. Alot of guys are like me and can spin a wrench with the best (or at least average) of them. If there is rust through and you don't have body, paint, welding and fitting skills then think twice but don't necessarily run (the way I should have with my Hawk). If one person can do it then anyone should be able to do it. If your dream car runs and drives or will take little to do so then drive it, enjoy it and fix what needs to be fixed as you can. I just replaced the entire trunk floor in my Hawk, have some replacing to do on passengers side floor, and everywhere I turn there are rust issues BUT I love the car, the Studebaker community and am enjoying learning as I go. If the car is in the realm of possibilities, at a decent price that you can afford, you have a place to work on out of the weather AND if the car needs to be rescued then go for it. If it's going to be over your skill level to do so you can learn HOWEVER if there is one out there then most likely there are others in worse and in better shape.
                Dave
                Dave Hugo
                Wellford, SC
                1940 Champion
                1950 Champion Coupe
                1955 President Coupe
                1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

Crazy as Canadian money? I don't think so. The US has its own version of Loonies and Toonies right now. Don't really see them in the west, but pretty common in eastern states.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Okay, guys, one cannadian dollar is a loonie. A person who is loonie is crazy. It was a joke based on these facts and nothing more. I couldn't know any less about canadian money if I tried. I thought it was funny.

Comment

[QUOTEMy reason for this is that I'm as parinoid as they come, and I don't trust the internet. If when I go to the owners house cash in hand and find out that someone beat me to the punch, I would always wonder if thay were tipped off by the thread I started, and I would never forgive myself. So for now I will keep everthing on the down low. [/QUOTE]

Time to worry. . . . Google your email address. Everybody already knows.
                      Henry Votel,
                      Forest Lake, MN
                      Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Good luck with your Studebaker search. I agree with Dave's comment, unless part of the experience you are seeking is restoration or "building" your own car, I advocate finding a finished car that you like and purchasing it. You will spend more money up front, but in the long run you will most likely come out ahead in money spent. Get the very best car you can afford to start with. You will also be driving it and enjoying it sooner. Execute due diligence in evaluation and seek expert advice as you are doing. Just offering my opinion.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Votel View Post
                          [QUOTEMy reason for this is that I'm as parinoid as they come, and I don't trust the internet. If when I go to the owners house cash in hand and find out that someone beat me to the punch, I would always wonder if thay were tipped off by the thread I started, and I would never forgive myself. So for now I will keep everthing on the down low.
                          Time to worry. . . . Google your email address. Everybody already knows.[/QUOTE]

Eh I don't care, all they can do is email, and my inbox is alway empty, so I could use a few good emails every now and then, mostly I worry about the car deal going south.

Comment

Subscribed to this thread. I'll be watching it with interest, although I'm not JUST ready to buy a GT quite yet (need another 4-6mos to clear some work interference...)

Comment

You've got to come to some common ground with the current owner of the car. If he's a decent, trustworthy guy, and he knows you're interested, hopefully he wouldn't sell the car out from under you. Also, keep in mind that even the most desirable Studes aren't so desirable that you can restore them properly without going completely upside down financially, so it's a very select type of person that will go through the trouble of tracking one down and snatching it.

Talk to someone in your area from the local chapter. See if they'll come look at the car and give you an idea of a good value. Then talk to the owner, make a deal, and make a down payment. From there, you shouldn't have to worry about losing the car anymore. Having seen the car you're interested in, I can tell you that it's a cool car worth sharing pics of out here in the open. Close the deal and share it with the world
                              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                              X