Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So You Think All R1 & R2 Larks Had Tachs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So You Think All R1 & R2 Larks Had Tachs??

One thing I have learned in my many years in the Studebaker hobby is one should avoid using the words "always" and "never." I have heard many people say that a R1 or supercharged R2 Studebaker would always come with a factory installed tachometer, and would never have a clock.

Well, not really; take a look at the following sales letter, dated October 11, 1962.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark Tach Sales Letter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1738278
    You will see that for awhile, Studebaker was shipping R1 and R2 Larks without a tach, and, in some cases, a clock instead of the tach!

Now, it is interesting that a few days later, somebody must have thought of a quick fix to this problem - if we are out of Lark style tachs, why not just put an Avanti tach in a Lark? Thus, the following deviation permit, dated October 16, 1962 was released:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark Tach Deviation Sheet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1738279
    the lesson here? If you see a Lark with a R1 or R2 engine without a tach (or a clock instead) don't automatically assume it is a clone or a basterdized car.

Oh, and for the record, my factory R2 Lark has the correct tach :{)
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

My old R1 Daytona Skytop, assembled 9/28/62, had the correct (non-Avanti) style tach when I bought it in May '88.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Never say never when it comes to Studes. Thats what makes this fun.

Comment

Do you have any pics of the tach in place? Is it the same dash as a '63 Champ?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
          Do you have any pics of the tach in place? Is it the same dash as a '63 Champ?
          Thanks
          No, Bob; it's not. Champ trucks retained the 1959-1960 style dash to the end because they retained the 1960 and earlier cowl and windshield, etc. A 1963-1966 "Lark" dash won't fit a Champ truck without serious modification, if at all.

If you want a tachometer in your Champ, the easiest way to add one is to simply use a steering-column bracket with an aftermarket tach. BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM. Reason: changed 1962 to 1960.
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, Bob
            I have an under dash tach in place that came with the truck. I was being hopeful when I saw the "Avanti tach" application that it would be a good match for my R1 Avanti engine that is on its way from Dave Thibeault.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              No, Bob; it's not. Champ trucks retained the 1959-1960 style dash to the end because they retained the 1962 and earlier cowl and windshield, etc. A 1963-1966 "Lark" dash won't fit a Champ truck without serious modification, if at all.
              Bob, will a '61-'62 dash fit in the same space as an earlier Lark, or Champ truck? The cowl was modified for fresh air vents, and therefore, the windshield is quite different, so I'm not sure if the dash would be a direct fit. Seems to me the dash flatter where it meets the cowl.

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                No, Bob; it's not. Champ trucks retained the 1959-1960 style dash to the end because they retained the 1962 and earlier cowl and windshield, etc. A 1963-1966 "Lark" dash won't fit a Champ truck without serious modification, if at all.

. BP
                I thought that all Champs used the 1959-1960 cowl. Remember that the car cowl was changed for 1961.
                I agree that the 1963 dash is not a bolt-in.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                  One thing I have learned in my many years in the Studebaker hobby is one should avoid using the words "always" and "never." I have heard many people say that a R1 or supercharged R2 Studebaker would always come with a factory installed tachometer, and would never have a clock.

Well, not really; take a look at the following sales letter, dated October 11, 1962.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]22087[/ATTACH]
                  You will see that for awhile, Studebaker was shipping R1 and R2 Larks without a tach, and, in some cases, a clock instead of the tach!

Now, it is interesting that a few days later, somebody must have thought of a quick fix to this problem - if we are out of Lark style tachs, why not just put an Avanti tach in a Lark? Thus, the following deviation permit, dated October 16, 1962 was released:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]22088[/ATTACH]
                  the lesson here? If you see a Lark with a R1 or R2 engine without a tach (or a clock instead) don't automatically assume it is a clone or a basterdized car.

Oh, and for the record, my factory R2 Lark has the correct tach :{)
                  The dealer from whom I bought my Wagonaire had a fairly early '63 Cruiser with an R-1 (hd column shift, drum brakes). It had a clock rather than a tach. The car was gold with a red broadcloth interior- pretty stunning combo.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    I thought that all Champs used the 1959-1960 cowl. Remember that the car cowl was changed for 1961.
                    I agree that the 1963 dash is not a bolt-in.
                    Good Point, gary; I was thinking about the windshield and associated framework. I'll change the OP. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      Bob, will a '61-'62 dash fit in the same space as an earlier Lark, or Champ truck? The cowl was modified for fresh air vents, and therefore, the windshield is quite different, so I'm not sure if the dash would be a direct fit. Seems to me the dash flatter where it meets the cowl. Craig
                      Right, Craig; I don't know that for sure, so modified the OP per Gary's observation. BP

Comment

According to what the letter says, there should be next to NONE of the Larks out there without a Tach. because they shipped it to the Dealer later. So although interesting, the whole issue is an "extreme temporary Exception", not the rule.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post

Remember that R1 64 Daytona Hardtop Ed George had? Whoever ordered that one didn't get the full package but then they ordered it with a clock instead and Studebaker built it that way, the car was pretty well loaded up with accessories. I did get to see the build sheet. I should have bought that car, oh well.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That Car was an extra "Special" Order Car, not only did they "Special Order" a Clock instead of a Tach. it also appears that they special ordered the Std. with Jet Thrust; Power Shift Trans. be replaced with a H.D. Flight-O-Matic!

AND, it's a '64 so all Std. orders for Jet Thrust Equipment would include a Tach. unless some rare order was placed without it like this one.

I think when many of us, myself included refer to Always, Never, All, Std. usually we are talking about NORMAL issue Cars, not oddball special order stuff like the One-off 1956 Golden Hawk, the only one in the World that Palma Studebaker "Extra, Super, Special Ordered" with a "not available" LEATHER Interior that was not even normal Special orderable!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's right, I forgot about that, it did have a HD flight-o-matic. Also a split bench seat.
                              Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X