48 Champ O/D trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 48 Champ O/D trans

The O/D in my 48 Champ doesn't work it looks like it's internal. I'd like to exchange my whole trans for a rebuilt unit. Any help?

Can you tell us a bit more about it, especially how you decided that the problem is internal and not electrical?

They certainly can fail internally/mechanically, but that is generally the result of running them without sufficient oil/grease.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Agree with Roy, Matt. "...looks like it's internal." doesn't sound all that convinced without additional details.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        Agree with Roy, Matt. "...looks like it's internal." doesn't sound all that convinced without additional details.
        I'm beginning to think that the mechanic who looked at it and told me it was internal, didn't know what he was talking about!

Comment

I think you are on the right track. Search around (Old Car Manual Project?) and you can find the Borg-Warner manual for this system. Lots of good troubleshooting info.

Comment

The official Studebaker shop manual does a good job explaining the overdrive system.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
            X