ready to give up on my voltage regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ready to give up on my voltage regulator

I have posted on this site and the AACA forum and nobody seems to have any information as to what regulator I need for the generator that I have on my car. I listed all of the generator name plate information earlier and cannot find any matches on the internet. I have even asked two generator rebuilding shops and they would only say that it needs to be an A circuit regulator which doesn't seem to mean anything to anybody. They are willing to order one for me for over $100 though. I am at a point where I either have to pay their price or take a chance on buying the right one on my own. the problem is that you cannot go by the make and year of the car because I believe the generator is not the original one.
    When I find out how to determine this and what yhe A and B circuit is, I will post on this forum so that others can get some use from my frustrations.
    Dave
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

Dave, I sent another pm.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

What year and model is your car?

Have you opened up the voltage regulator and checked to see if the points are welded or corroded?

As a general rule, there are only 4 different voltage regulators on post war Studes, until you get into alternators in 63.

1. 6 volt delco on V-8 and Commander six cars
      2. 6 volt Autolite on Champions
      3. 12 volt delco on V-8 cars
      4. 12 volt Autolite on Champions

I can give you the Napa number if you tell me the year and model of your car. With that number, you can search many suppliers for equivalent regulators. beware of imported regulators. Try to find a name brand.

You need to make sure that your car has the right generator and that the generator works properly before installing a new regulator. A bad generator, or bad wire connections, or a noise suppression condenser in the wrong place can kill a new regulator.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Bought my 6 volt Delco type for bout 60.00 Oreilly's and Advance sell the same brand. {BWD} is the brand. cheers jimmijim
        Last edited by jimmijim8; 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

....I'd recommend buying the correct generator and regulator at this time rather than twisting down the same road again for you or someone else//

Comment

Thanks to all that replied to my problem. I think I found the answer. The guy that tested my generator said that I needed an A circuit regulator. In looking in the shop manual for my 60 Lark, it shows both the A annd B circuit regulators. The A circuit is the one with two terminals on one side and one on the other. So, if he is correct I now think I know which one to get.
            Avantidave
            1978 Avanti II

Comment

Chrysler Corp owned the Electric Autolite Co. for many years, so it's no surprise to see that name on the tag.
              I think you wrote your generator numbers wrong. I believe all the GJP series have 7000 numbers. Early 60S Larks used an 'A' circuit generator. Mid-year they changed to a 'B' circuit. The generator you have now is a 'B' circuit.
              'A' circuit wiring has the field wires grounded externally through the voltage regulator. 'B' circuits have the field wires grounded inside the generator, to the case or to the grounded brush.
              The generator you have now is a 'B' circuit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gen.1960.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1679350
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwayne
                Chrysler never owned Autolite .
                They sold a lot of parts to Chrysler and had them put the Chrysler name tags on.
                Ford bought the "Autolite" name and the company continued to be known as the
                "Prestolite Co" but made the same stuff.
                Ford also produced "Autolite" named products along the same lines.
                Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I went out and looked at the generator label with a magnifying glass. The best I could come up with is thaat the label says
                  GJ then obsucured but looks like a C then the next number I cant read then 012A. That would make it GJ 021A. You said the gen were 700 series so, this might make it GJC 7012A. I checked on line and there is such a Chrysler/AutoLite number. The Chrysler Service Manual says that this number uses an AutoLite regulator #VRX 6201A.

Other info on the gen is---
                  part #1770754
                  serial #3N014201

Also, the generator shop that tested my generator said that I needed an "A" circiut regulator.

Confusing?
                  Avantidave
                  1978 Avanti II

Comment

I should have added that my car is a 1960 Lark serial #60S-L6-2991
                    Avantidave
                    1978 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                    X