Chrome upper outer control arm bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Chrome upper outer control arm bushings

I got the inner bushings installed on the upper and lower control arms. still not sure about the tapered upper inner bushing, I ended up knurling the right side upper control arm openings and installed a second set of bushings.

Unwrapped the lower outer bushings and installed them. The left side is a little tight, hope that works. unwrapped upper outer bushings and they are chrome plated.Installed the left side on Saturday, got the back bushing torqued to 170 ft/lb. Once the front one contacted the control arm I only could torque to 140 ft/lb it keep wanting to turn so I stop, Hope that works.

The chrome is so thick on the second set of bushings, the socket will not fit on the hex nut. I called " SI" and they said that the chrome plated bushing are wrong and were send back to the manufactures "wish they had told me"and replacements are about a month out.

I attached the left side suspension to the frame on Sunday. Did I make a mistake on using the chrome plated bushing on the left side lower control arm.

P.S. hope using the bold front is o.k. helps me with typing.

Did you install the outer bushings by spreading the control arm the proper amount using the approved tool, per the shop manual? If not, that could be your problem.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I made my own spreader from factory pictures and I have a factory manual. I think I have done the rebuild wright, I wish there is a way to check my work.

Comment

I grease all the threads related to the outer pivot pin & caps: inside threads on the 'A' arm; outside threads on the caps; inside threads on the caps, and outside threads on the pin. I play with the threads and spreader till the pivot assembly is at least rotate-able with a pair of pliers. I have never used a torque wrench on the caps, but estimate about 75 pounds of torque on them. Have never had a problem with them coming loose, but check them (an other misc front end bolts) upon re-greasing every 5000 miles.

Comment

I greased the pin threads and the cap inside threads but not the a-arm and out cap threads.The lower outer bushings are the first bushing I have ever done.When I hold the a-arm on the bench and push and pull the king pin it stiff. I do not think I could rotate with a pair of piers. I see that I made a mistake on my first thread. The chrome bushing caps are on upper outer a-arm, and that cap and pin turns easy.Can I loosen up the lower bushing and readjust or do I have To buy new ones and start over.

Comment

Originally posted by 59 lark View Post
            I greased the pin threads and the cap inside threads but not the a-arm and out cap threads.The lower outer bushings are the first bushing I have ever done.When I hold the a-arm on the bench and push and pull the king pin it stiff. I do not think I could rotate with a pair of piers. I see that I made a mistake on my first thread. The chrome bushing caps are on upper outer a-arm, and that cap and pin turns easy.Can I loosen up the lower bushing and readjust or do I have To buy new ones and start over.
            If you are talking about the lower, outer, threaded bushings, no need to replace; just remove & re-install, while playing with the spreader, to reach a point where it is loose enough as described above. Odds are, if it is as tight as you describe currently, the fitting will not take grease and allow it to pass the threads and come out on the inboard side, under the square o'ring.
            If you are talking about the inner, rubber bushing, don't worry if the pivot pin is tight; loosen the cap screws so it will rotate easy enough to install/bolt back onto the frame cross member. Once bolted up, tighten the cap screws.
            No matter which bushings you are referring to, no need to replace, just work with what you have got. At least for now.

Comment

Thank for the advice Joe, the lower outer pin did take grease out to the square o'ring with the grease gun. This weekend I'll redo the whole thing and see what happen.Thank again Joe, and to everyone that reply to my threads.

Comment

If the threaded caps will allow grease to flow all the way through to the o'rings, they are OK as is. No need to try to get the fit any better. If real hard to rotate when the caps are tightened, loosen the caps till the king pin is connected, then snug them down.

Comment

Hope posting pic works,Here are some pic of my rebuild.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2851.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1679537Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2852.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1679538Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2855.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1679539I'm posting better

Comment

Man, I bet that is gonna be a beauty. Talk about leaving no stone un-turned !

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        I grease all the threads related to the outer pivot pin & caps: inside threads on the 'A' arm; outside threads on the caps; inside threads on the caps, and outside threads on the pin. I play with the threads and spreader till the pivot assembly is at least rotate-able with a pair of pliers. I have never used a torque wrench on the caps, but estimate about 75 pounds of torque on them. Have never had a problem with them coming loose, but check them (an other misc front end bolts) upon re-greasing every 5000 miles.
                        checked the service manual, calls for 65 ft.lbs..makes more sense than 170.
                        Last edited by dickeedee; 04-01-2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Very nice work Willard, that setup to install the Outer bushings is a very good one.

I see some very tall front coil springs there, are these for a Six Cylinder Car? All the V8's I have seen are much shorter, both H.D. and Standard.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Do I understand correctly, you went ahead and installed the bushings you were told were wrong? If so, go back to GO and get the right ones!

Comment

59 lark nice looking job. I have the same thing to do with a gt hawk frame.Do you think a small 4 ton porta power would work in place of the spreader tool that you built? I had planed on seeing if it would work. if not will need to buy or build the same tool that you have. keep the pictures coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X