Making progress on my charging system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making progress on my charging system

OK, here's the scoop. I took the generator to a rebuild shop and they tested it tob be in good working order. The number on the generator is an Auto-Lite GJP 2012A. It through me off a little because it said Chrysler Corp on it but I think the same generator was used in many different brands back then. Anyway, the voltage regulator was trashed and I need to know the proper regulator for this generator so that I may purchase one. RockAuto has a VR-15 and a VR-20 that are for a 1960 Lark 6 cylinder which my car is. It says the VR-15 has two terminals and the VR-20 has three which confuses me. Someone in the forum said that the picture was probably generic, the statement of two terminals was incorrect and that the third post was probably on the opposite side and not shown.
    I believe Advance auto also has gthe same two regulators and they are about $40 for the VR-15 and $50 for the VR-20 ( Studebaker International wants $92 ).
    i need some advice as to which regulator I need, to match this generator.
    Thanks to all for the input so far.
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

That rebiuld shop should have that info for you,and maybe have it in stock. I've never heard of a Chisler part on a 'Stude,it was probably 'modified' at one time.
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I have already thought of this when getting the generator checked. The rebuild shop had some for $86 but was not able to cross reference with the RockAuto or Advance Auto numbers which sell for half that price.
      Avantidave
      1978 Avanti II

Comment

I am sure both Rock Auto and Advance Auto don't have experts on hand that know what parts fit a Studebaker. Somebody, somewhere, scanned or keyed a bunch of old cross-reference books into a database. That's all. And those cross-reference books were predicated on your car being equipped as it was built by the factory. If you have any reason to think that the generator has been changed for a different type, go with the regulator that your auto electric shop recommends. The $40 you "save" on the cheaper part might wind up costing you many times that if an incorrect part smokes your generator (and itself).

To digress a little bit, if you think your auto electric guy knows his stuff, then you want him to stay in business. That means you have to step up to the plate and pay his price for the parts, which price includes his overhead, and a buck or two to fill his rice bowl. If everybody picks his brain, but doesn't buy his parts, he will close his doors, and you'll be getting your expert advice from a call center in India, thank you very much. Think of the extra $40 as buying some confidence that the part chosen will work for you. I know a buck's a buck, but peace of mind has value. /rant
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Re: Voltage regulator problems

Well, I took the generator to a second generator rebuilder and I still didn't get an answer as to what voltage regulator to get. I have just decided to order the one listedin RockAuto for the 1960 Lark and hope for the best. Who knows, the generator that's in there could actually be the original. I have gone round and round with this problem for a couple of weeks with no actual solid results. If it burns up the generator, so be it. I have tried everythink conceivable. I was shocked that two rebuilders couldn't give me an answer. One of them said it had to be an A circuit regulator but the auto supply stores have no idea what that is. Oh well, we shall see.
          Avantidave
          1978 Avanti II

Comment

The Auitolite generator on our Champions was also used on a number of MoPar products.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Have you talked to Dave Thibeault on this matter ?
              Originally posted by davette59 View Post
              Re: Voltage regulator problems
              Well, I took the generator to a second generator rebuilder and I still didn't get an answer as to what voltage regulator to get. I have just decided to order the one listedin RockAuto for the 1960 Lark and hope for the best. Who knows, the generator that's in there could actually be the original. I have gone round and round with this problem for a couple of weeks with no actual solid results. If it burns up the generator, so be it. I have tried everythink conceivable. I was shocked that two rebuilders couldn't give me an answer. One of them said it had to be an A circuit regulator but the auto supply stores have no idea what that is. Oh well, we shall see.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

David, you PM'ed me through the forum's message service. Did you get my reply?
                DG
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                X