I almost feel like this belongs in the Obits section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I almost feel like this belongs in the Obits section

Well, the day has come, and I've finally sold both the '60 Larks. As much as I've been trying to get rid of them, I don't know if I was truly ready to let that part of my life go. Four generations of my family have sat inside that hardtop, and knowing that the car's ultimate fate is to be parted out to finish a handful of other cars is bittersweet. I always hoped it would be restored, even in spite of the fact that it was probably one of the biggest basket cases on the planet. All the same, it really was inevitable. I was in over my head before all my tools got stolen. After that (and the ensuing realization that my insurance wasn't going to cover the loss), there was simply no way I could make it happen. If there's comfort I can take in this, it's that the cars didn't just head straight to the scrapper, and several parts will live on to help keep others on the road. So a journey ends, and experiences are learned. It was a fun adventure while it lasted.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

A hard loss, Jim. I know. My first Studebaker was purchased new by my grandfather. I drove it in to the ground, and my experience with that car convinced me these were something worth maintaining, and that the folks who share that passion are folks worth having as friends. Decades later, I know parts of my grandfather's Studebaker still proclaim his conviction.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm really sorry Jim, after I started talking to you about my classic stude hopes, I read most of the resto blog on the 60 starting with the video of you guys going to pick it up, and now hearing it finally happened makes me almost tear up. I'm sure you knew it was going to happen but having the final nail in the coffin is always hard to deal with. I don't know about anyone else up here, but I get sentimenal about cars, and I've even cried over cars. Nowhere near as important to me but , I said goodbye to a four wheeled friend just the other day my brothers old work truck, may not sound like much but it carried alot of good memories and it never let us down when we needed it the most. Take some solace that other larks will be saved with its sacrifice, I do hope you kept a momento of some sort. Good luck, and make sure it never happens to the 63.

My Condolences Jim,
      Danny D.

Comment

You really should keep a small part of that car. A part you can hang up on the garge wall and rember all those good times.

Comment

Jim, I know how you feel. Last year I parted a 62 GT Hawk that my Dad had owned since 1964. I was born in 1966, so it is the first car I ever rode in. When my parents bought a nearly new Chevy Impala in the late 60's I was told I would not ride in it..... I suppose I was addicted to Studes at the age of 3...... Anyway, the old Hawk was relegated to work car status and Illinois winters were not very kind, so the old Hawk was parked in the early 70's. Dad never sold it because he said, it's a Studebaker and it isn't worth anything. I will let it rot before I give it away. And rot it did.... So the old Hawk was moved from one falling down barn to another on our farm. The last falling down barn was at my place. So, when I decided tear down the Hawks most recent resting place, it became pretty clear to Dad and I that this time it was the end of the road..... Since Dad owned the car, and I had the workshop space to dismantle it, we split the proceeds from the parts sales. We had always hoped that we could restore that car, but knew that it was to far gone to be feasible. It still did not make dismantling it any easier, because of that sentimental attachment.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Jim, 'sorry to hear of this. I've followed your saga with the cars, and then the terrible news of your tools being stolen. Hopefully you have a photo or two of the family and the Lark(s) in better times, to remember them. Best. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Jim, I too understand your concern. The last of my 56J's will leave in the next coupe of days for a new owner in Florida. While non of my cars could match the history of yours they are difficult to sell. The one consulation is that this one goes to a person who shares our passion and has the resources to keep the car going for at least one more generation to enjoy. Ken Deltaville, Va

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think the situation is probably more emotionally charged than it normally would be, as I am also making plans to have my dog of 17 years put down and on top of that, before I headed out to make the car deal I opened the chapter newsletter to find a "Farewell" letter from one of the members who I know better than most, as he is battling pancreatic cancer. There are a lot of changes going on right now.
                Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                You really should keep a small part of that car. A part you can hang up on the garge wall and rember all those good times.
                I do have a couple little mementos actually. The cover piece on the '63's horn button was cracked, so I took my grandpa's horn button and transplanted that some time ago. I also pulled the body tag, since the car's never going to see the road again anyway. I thought about swiping the serial plate, but that's a lot of work, and I'd hate if it led to problems for the new owner down the road. So I have a couple reminders, plus at least one really good photo from back when the car was able to win a trophy.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I have had some similar experiences. I think that if we live long enough, most of us will. When I think about it...somehow...nearly all ended up with a positive side. Don't know what your "positive" will be, but someday, you'll know. Perhaps losing your tools, and relieving yourself of the car will provide you with an opportunity to devote your time money and efforts into something with a more meaningful value for you, your family, and career going forward.

Also, I empathize with you about the dog. Your next one will comfort you and continue the love. At least that's the way it has worked for me through the years. All the best to you.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jim, I'm sorry to here of all the issues you've got happening. I've been in similar situations, and they do workout, just give it time. Kurt relayed his story to you,and I'm one of the benefactors of his dads '62. I bought the crank from the engine, and plan to use it in a future build. It's great to have those who want their cars to live on in some way or another.Take care and keep plugging along, and keep that youngster a "Stude" lover too. Bill Van Alstyne

Comment

I thought of our meeting when I was writing that post. Good luck on that future engine build!
                      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                      X