53-54 business coupe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53-54 business coupe???

Man that would have been a bad ass car. Why would they have suddenly dropped that model from the lineup. I mean we've seen a few of these cars modified to a two seat configuration but none with a hard top. Dicks sporte ute was close but had an open bed.

Anybody good enough w photoshop to maybe make a virtual 53 business coupe?
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

I'm sure the body was too low to make a practical business coupe. You could take a Starlight coupe, and replace the back seat with a plywood floor and install a fabric drop, but the resulting cargo area would be too low to be very practical. It would make more sense to do it with a 2-door sedan.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

51 was the last year, I don't believe any 52s were made. I don't think the minimal sales would've justified making that body for 53.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
        51 was the last year, I don't believe any 52s were made. I don't think the minimal sales would've justified making that body for 53.
        I agree with Matthew. There were only 3764 built for 1951. The question is - why none for 1952? They would have been the same body as 1951. I think that the answer lies in the low production number. Convertible production went from 8512 for 1951 to 3290 for 1952. Imagine if the 3 passenger (business) coupes dropped the same amount (yielding 1455).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

[QUOTE=289stude;723781]Man that would have been a bad ass car. Why would they have suddenly dropped that model from the lineup. I mean we've seen a few of these cars modified to a two seat configuration but none with a hard top. Dicks sporte ute was close but had an open bed.

Anybody good enough w photoshop to maybe make a virtual 53 business coupe?[/QUOTE

John, have not seen you post for a while, nice to see yours again, there as been a few 53-54 C/K cars altered and very few come out better than the originals, not talking about really nice customs but ones people screwed with like the little short one or ones with added continental kits those look to long and out of place, by the way John any thing you need in May as I will be driving to South Bend for the swap meet how about a nice project 57 Golden Hawk?....Bob
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

The '57-'58 Scotsman 2 Dr. Sedan and I believe the '59-'60 Lark 2 Door Sedan came in "Utility Sedan" form same as a Business Coupe with the flat shelf and even '63-'64 fixed roof Wagons were sold to the U.S. Government as "Utility Wagons" with the flat "shelf" instead of rear seats.

These cars would certainly do the job way better than any C or K. But of course if we are talking cool, retro very different sort of Custom, not exactly useful I guess they COULD work.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Would look something like this:

sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Now thats just plain ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  Now thats just plain ugly.
                  Yep... looks kinda like a business coupe.
                  Last edited by Studedude; 03-03-2013, 03:25 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                  X