Here We Go Again: Another Top Ten Future Collectibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here We Go Again: Another Top Ten Future Collectibles

'Always get a kick out of these articles.

Probably written by the children of those who advised savvy car investors to pay over sticker and then squirrel away an NOS 1976 Eldorado Convertible for an investment in 1976...a mint one today being among the worst possible investments to have made when advised to do so over 35 years ago!

(It was hardly investment strategy when I instead bought 1973 Mustang and 1971 Barracuda convertibles in 1976, but they have proven to be good investments based on what I paid for them plus maintenance, insurance, and storage through the years, versus their potential but realistic "value" today...but they were not bought for investments. It's still better strategy to buy what you like FIRST and if it proves to be a good investment in the bargain, so much the better.)

OTOH, who in the day advised anyone to squirrel away an NOS 1969 Camaro Pace Car convertible or one of the genuine R3 Avantis, or a 1963 Split-Window, Fuel-Injection Corvette or a 1957 F-code Thunderbird or a 1960 Chrysler 300F convertible with Pont-a-Mousson 4-speed, any/all of them with no miles? Ah, hindsight....

Enjoy the wisdom...but keep a firm grip on your wallet:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Why did the Pontiac Aztek not make that list?

Several months ago I almost pulled the trigger to buy a new Corvette 427 but I wasn't looking at it for future investment. I have an affinity for 427 Corvettes and it would have required selling the '69 427 Vette convertible I've had for a long time and prices are down for such cars right now regardless of what magazines say they're worth. On the plus side, a new 427 would have been a year round driver which my '69 is not...it has the typical Corvette issues of leaking in the rain. Wait...that's Avantis isn't it? Damn...I have an old Corvette and Avantis that leak. I must be a glutton for punishment!
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Whats really bizarre is when going to a local cruise-in, one is likely to see those cars, or slightly earlier/lesser versions, lined up with hood open and waiting to be "judged" for a hopeful trophy later in the day. To me, its downright comical, but guess I am just getting old.

Comment

Anybody that calls 600 lb-ft of torque "ABSURD" should go back to writing for Home and Garden.

I don't doubt that there is a profit in the future with some of these but at the current price tag, one might be better off to put the money in 1% CD's. Not many high dollar rides of recent vintage, even very limited production, go for close to sticker, even at Barret-Jackson.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X