2003 avanti red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 avanti red

I'm looking for the paint code for this car to refinish a door. Does anyone know where the code can be found? Is there any touch up paint available in the market place? Thanks
    Attached Files
    acedrummond@gmail.com

Parker Colorado - Avanti Owner Since 6, Feb 2013

I have historically gotten a better match by having the paint shop put something like a gas door on the camera and matching it that way than by giving them the codes. The camera system (alright, maybe it isnt a camera as such) matches whats there and accounts for fading or even differences in the factory mix. I am not familiar enough with that body style Avanti to suggest a part that is easily removable for this endeavor but I am sure there is something. Steve

EDIT: My local paint store even has a remote camera that they carry to the car and do their voodoo with so I no longer remove anything if I can drive the car in. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the "camera" instrument you describe is commonly called a spectrometer, an invaluable tool in the paint industry.

Dan Miller
      Auburn, GA

Comment

Your Avanti is probably finished in the same color as the Firebird that it is based on was painted. That saves a lot of painting in areas like door jambs. If it is the original color, the code should be the GM paint code in the body ID plate in the engine compartment.
        I would be afraid of re-painting just a door on a 10 year old paint job. An acceptable match to the front and rear will be VERY difficult.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by acedrummond View Post
          I'm looking for the paint code for this car to refinish a door. Does anyone know where the code can be found? Is there any touch up paint available in the market place? Thanks
          Your car looks like a twin of my 2002. Corvette Torch Red is a match.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I obtained some 2002 Firebird Bright Red touch up and that looks like a match. Thanks all.//
            acedrummond@gmail.com

Parker Colorado - Avanti Owner Since 6, Feb 2013

Comment

GM usually puts the paint code on a label in the trunk. It contains all the info for the vehicle in codes used by them. If you contact a GM dealer their parts dept can look it up (using the VIN#). I believe they can even give the production date although the sticker doesnt. Look on the bottom of the spare tire cover. Many times its there or in the spare tire well. If not lift the carpet in the trunk & see.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
              X