Gas Tank..AGAIN..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank..AGAIN..

A couple weeks ago I pulled the tank..leaking at the passenger side mount. I have it all mouted stock..with the spring and castle nut.. Leaks from around the dam weld repair..

Need to pull it out again..reboil. It was not treated after the repair as I was hoping a professional repair would be sufficient... Bringing it back..
    Need to empty tank today.. It leaks when parked overnight. I vented the cap..no help..just seepage from the welds.. I think the stress fromt the mount may be too much for the old metal..but can't tell until I can get tank out and examine..

Need to get it done as I am entered at Goodguys 3/9..and naturally..yesterday 70*..today..50*..

So..does anyone know if there are new tanks made and if by any chance they aren't Ferrari priced ?

I really do not want t fuel cell in truck...?

Do you have any yards in the area with any Studebakers suitable "like a pick-n-pull"
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

nothing here.. A lot of Stude parts in Arizona have been sold back east because of the no rust conditions..

Comment

GOOD C & K Tanks are getting to be made of Unobtainium! Sorry, a lot of people are about 30-40 years too late to get reasonable spares.
        And I know, some were not old enough to drive or even born then either.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've had really good luck with sealing the tanks on my own...You can order it out of Hemmings or go to NAPA...I've used both...Just make sure you give it plenty of time to dry.

Comment

Like I said earlier that I had one shop boil out my tank and didn't presure test it and it leaked. Second shop boiled it out again. Then put it in what they called the burn barrel and got the old coating out. There was a rusted out spot at the hanger so it was patched and recoated. They would do a good job for you but the tank would have to be brought to Phoenix. See you at Goodguys. I am bringing the 40 President this time.

Denny L

Comment

A few radiator shops offer a coating whose name escapes me right now but it seals the tank well & isnt bothered by the ethenol fuels used today. Costs around $200 if memory serves me. I have used the sealer from Eastwood a couple times myself with good results but if I was in your shoes, I would have the more expensive job done with the assurance of it not failing on the road away from home.

I just found the site: http://gastankrenu.com/
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

A company called Tank Renu did a great job for me. Might want to check to see if you have one in your area. I also used a tank repair and coating kit from KBS products. It worked extremely well.

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
                  A couple weeks ago I pulled the tank..leaking at the passenger side mount. I have it all mouted stock..with the spring and castle nut.. Leaks from around the dam weld repair..

Need to pull it out again..reboil. It was not treated after the repair as I was hoping a professional repair would be sufficient... Bringing it back..
                  Need to empty tank today.. It leaks when parked overnight. I vented the cap..no help..just seepage from the welds.. I think the stress fromt the mount may be too much for the old metal..but can't tell until I can get tank out and examine..

Need to get it done as I am entered at Goodguys 3/9..and naturally..yesterday 70*..today..50*..

So..does anyone know if there are new tanks made and if by any chance they aren't Ferrari priced ?

I really do not want t fuel cell in truck...?
                  A friend of mine just yesterday was by the shop and he now livers in the Portland area told me he had a nos hawk tank for sale and would sell it for $250.00 plus shipping, if interested let me know and I will put you in touch with him.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

You have mail..

Thanks

Comment

A guy from Payson was at the Glendale International Meet in 2010 and demoed one of the tank sealing processes; Gas Tank Reno IIRC. You could easily find him with a google search if you are interested. There could even be someone closer; google would find that too.

Good luck.
                      Jim K.
                      63 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                        Like I said earlier that I had one shop boil out my tank and didn't presure test it and it leaked. Second shop boiled it out again. Then put it in what they called the burn barrel and got the old coating out. There was a rusted out spot at the hanger so it was patched and recoated. They would do a good job for you but the tank would have to be brought to Phoenix. See you at Goodguys. I am bringing the 40 President this time.

Denny L
                        Pretty much exactly what happened to me.. They siad the removed the coating and tested..but there is a pin hole leak where in was welded..

Pulling it out again..but may do a temp fix and buy the new one..NOS hard to beat..
                        I might even treat the NOS tank..modern gas a real corrosive..

Comment

Thanks..looking for his web site..

Comment

Temp patch from a friend.. He has used JB Weld..let it cure..POR 15 inside then sprayed the outside of tank with three coats of Duraliner type coating, He says it was a temp patch..now years old..and holds well..

Maybe worth a try until I can install a new tank..

Comment

In reviewing the bulletin it dosen't suggest any problems such as leaking and it doesn't suggest that any previous models be retrofitted it only says the spring, castelled nut and cotter pin are discontinued from that date forward. Maby the company saved a buck on the modification? It would be nice to know the reason for the production change. In doing an evaluation on the spring assembly, downward pressure ie (full tank) would cause the spring to compress and therefore cause less stress on the adjacent seam than if it was mounted rigid. I fail to see how said modification would reduce the probability of developing a leak. Dave British Columbia

Comment

Working...
                              X