Cylinder heads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Cylinder heads.

Good morning. Have a question, on porting and polishing heads, can you take the combustion chamber back to the head gasket. New photo bucket picture sizing option is not been added yet. I posted one with a picture it was way too big so I deleted it. I will see if I can go back to the old photo bucket. If not I will go to a new photo sharing site. Sorry no pictures yet.Thanks Patrick.

Originally posted by nibbs53 View Post
    Good morning. Have a question, on porting and polishing heads, can you take the combustion chamber back to the head gasket. Thanks Patrick.
    Short answer - no. Crevice volume larger than the bore is bad for several reasons.

The best way to see your options is with the heads on the empty block already bored to finish size. Spray the outside of the combustion chamber with machinist's layout dye. Put the heads on the empty block. Secure with a couple of head bolts. Rotate the engine stand so the head is down. Use a scriber to mark the outline of the bore on the head surface. This shows the actual combustion chamber area you'll be working with. Depending on your overbore, you'll note there may be some of the combustion chamber actually larger than the bore.

When finished with the chamber work, put the head back on the block, take a magic marker and on the cylinder wall mark the area where if any of the chamber intake valve area overlaps the bore. This is where you'll notch the bore to match.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM.
    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
    X