Possible R3 in 1957 GH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible R3 in 1957 GH

Somebody ought to check this out, it's too far away for me.Click image for larger version

Name:	possible R3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1738134
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

I know to never say never, but that engine doesn't look close to being a genuine R3...wrong intake and carb, wrong valve covers just from a quick glance. That the seller calls it 289 cubic inch R3 show he really has little knowledge of what he's selling.

Chrome valve covers do not an "R" engine make. Still, the car is worth being checked out by someone.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Its just a replacement v8 with chrome valve covers. Not even a R1. No chrome cover under the intake. My gress someone found a engineless GH in the 70s and tried to restore it. Notice there is no place to mount the supercharger bracket. Can anyone tell what type of carb. it is? Kinda looks like a large 2 barrell holley a freind of mine had on his Hawk in the 70s.

Comment

I often have trouble explaining to people that the pressure box enclosure as used on 1957-58 cars is not the same as that used on R3 engines.

This sometimes results in Golden Hawks being described as having R3 engines.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
          Its just a replacement v8 with chrome valve covers. Not even a R1. No chrome cover under the intake. My gress someone found a engineless GH in the 70s and tried to restore it. Notice there is no place to mount the supercharger bracket. Can anyone tell what type of carb. it is? Kinda looks like a large 2 barrell holley a freind of mine had on his Hawk in the 70s.
          That is a Carter WCFB (4bbl).....the standard Stude 4bbl before the AFB.
          The Stock Golden Hawk carb would have been a Stromberg 2bbl .
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Looks to be some odd shaped breather caps on the valve covers. Why put a generator on an R3? I think the lister has been misinformed about the power plant in the Hawk, which looks to be a really major project to bring back from the dead.
            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

ORSDC Forum and with all the recent "R3 anxiety" thought it would sell for a good more money if it had a R3.

Comment

If that thing sells for that kind of money my 2 will be on e-bay soon, in fact I have been thinking of putting one on anyway with free shipping to South Bend in May.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Looks like a parts car to me. Way overpriced.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                    Looks like a parts car to me. Way overpriced. Denny L
                    Oklahoma dreamin' on such a winter's day.

At least we can be glad it still exists as a parts car.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Easily restorable. Looks solid from the pics.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X