Advise please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise please!!

Gentlemen, About a year ago I ordered a set of stainless trim from a forum member for the price of $700 dollars.( I give the price as it pretains to the problem) I HAD complete trust & respect for the person I was buying it from,at the time. When it arrived, it was packed as anyone would pack it, in a ABS tube. Have absolutely no problem with that. Here the problem starts:It was Damaged durring shipping by the Post Office. It looks like they drove over the 3inch ABS with a fork truck, breaking the solid pipe. The pipe had been bent also, plus all the stainless inside. Shouldn't be a problem IF the shipping party had put the appropiate insurance on the $700 dollar material that was shipped. PROBLEM IS< THE SHIPPER ONLY PUT MINIMUM INSURANCE ON IT. I sent the shipper a complete set of photos of the damaged pipe & all the damaged pieces, so he could fight withthe P.O. Since then the shipper has not kept me informed of any ,or no progress. He told me at first he would try to replace the damaged pieces. NO WORD ABOUT THIS HAS ARRIVED. Now, he even refuses to answer E-Mails.
    I respect the advice of all the forum members, so I am asking for advice as to what you think my options are, and where do I go from here?
    I did talkto Mathew about the cost to repair the bent stainless. He said it would be about $500.00, without seeing it. Bob Fish

Originally posted by feralcat0_0 View Post
    >>>I respect the advice of all the forum members, so I am asking for advice as to what you think my options are, and where do I go from here?<<< Bob Fish
    Bob ...IF …the Stude Vendor you are dealing with advertised the service in our fine TURNING WHEELS magazine, you "MAY" have some recourse through our SDC Arbiter.
    (Refer to Page 51, February 2013 issue for details)

Good Luck!!!

Comment

What pieces did you have? I may have good ones. You can also contact SDC to resolve this. I hope you asked for insurance. If not you may be at a loss. UPS damages stuff all the time. I have had poor luck getting $s from them.

Dwayne 7155727292
      Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

What is "Minimum Insurance"?
        Very difficult to recover loss from United Parcel Service. United States Postal service is easier to recover claims with.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
          What is "Minimum Insurance"?
          Very difficult to recover loss from United Parcel Service. United States Postal service is easier to recover claims with.
          The minimum insrrance was $50.00

Comment

studebaker56J I had complete stainless for both sides from front to back.The shortest ones were not damaged. Thank you-Bob Fish

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
              Bob ...IF TURNING WHEELS magazine, you "MAY" have some recourse through our SDC Arbiter.
              (Refer to Page 51, February 2013 issue for details)

Good Luck!!!
              Straight from the "Read me first" thread on the top of the page.

4. Complaints regarding forum advertisers will be directed to the Turning Wheels Complaints Arbiter and the same standards will apply to forum advertisers as Turning Wheels advertisers. These standards are printed in Turning Wheels and at,http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tw_adpolicies.asp

Comment

I have done battle twice with insurance claims through USPS (US Postal Service) and gave up both times. I have concluded that paying for insurance from them is a scam. I fought a recent claim for several months and finally gave up. Likewise a claim I had many years ago.

Comment

Gentlemen, About a year ago I ordered a set of stainless trim from a forum member for the price of $700 dollars.( I give the price as it pretains to the problem) I HAD complete trust & respect for the person I was buying it from,at the time. When it arrived, it was packed as anyone would pack it, in a ABS tube. Have absolutely no problem with that. Here the problem starts:It was Damaged durring shipping by the Post Office. It looks like they drove over the 3inch ABS with a fork truck, breaking the solid pipe. The pipe had been bent also, plus all the stainless inside. Shouldn't be a problem IF the shipping party had put the appropiate insurance on the $700 dollar material that was shipped. PROBLEM IS< THE SHIPPER ONLY PUT MINIMUM INSURANCE ON IT. I sent the shipper a complete set of photos of the damaged pipe & all the damaged pieces, so he could fight withthe P.O. Since then the shipper has not kept me informed of any ,or no progress. He told me at first he would try to replace the damaged pieces. NO WORD ABOUT THIS HAS ARRIVED. Now, he even refuses to answer E-Mails.
                  I respect the advice of all the forum members, so I am asking for advice as to what you think my options are, and where do I go from here?
                  I did talkto Mathew about the cost to repair the bent stainless. He said it would be about $500.00, without seeing it. Bob Fish
                  Robert,

I have stood on both ends of this issue, being a dealer and buyer. With that in mind, let me ask you a couple questions.

1. Did you request the seller/shipper to insure the items for full purchase amount and pay for that much insurance? If you did and the seller/shipper didn't so insure the items, then the seller/shipper is at fault and is liable. If you didn't ask for, or pay to have the items insured, then it is your fault and you can't hold the seller/shipper liable.

2. Did the seller/shipper request that the items be fully insured for the purchase amount and ask you to pay for the insurance? If the seller/shipper did and you paid for the insurance and seller/shipper did not insure the items for the full amount as requested, then the seller/shipper is at fault and is liable. If no insurance was discussed, then the seller/shipper isn't responsible.

3. Did the seller/shipper volunteer to insure the items for the full purchase price, or minimum insurance and pay for it out of his/her pocket? If the seller/shipper volunteered to insure the items for any amount, then the seller/shipper is the legal recepiant of the proceeds from any claim and isn't legally required to reimburse you for the lose, unless he/she insured the items on your behalf and listed you as the insurer.

4. If neither one of you discussed insurance, or amount of insurance, then both of you ought to be taken out back and whipped for short sightedness. Both knowing that in this day and time, you don't send anything through the mail without full coverage, and package tracking. Yes, insurance is an option, not an obligation. You, the buyer, are the responsible party to ensure your interests first and foremost. The seller/shipper should have your interests in mind, but really he/she is only responsible for protecting their own interests, by being paid up front, first and foremost.

Morally speaking, the seller/shipper should do everything in his/her power to assist you, but when it comes right down to the bottom line, it is your responsibility to ensure your interests have a positive out come. Anything else falls under the old adage Studebaker used, "Give more then you promise". A suggestion might be that the seller/shipper offer to repair the items at half the stated cost (from Matthew), or some other gesture showing that we are all in the same boat. Reminding each of us of the reasons we are here, namely keeping these vehicles alive and the shared comradery we have through these vehicles.

As I've said, I've been on both sides of this issue. As a SDC member and dealer, I would hope you two fine people can work this out between you. I readily offer any assistance I can to helping both of you.

BTW, which car do these pieces fit and which pieces were damaged?
                  Last edited by Bo Markham; 02-23-2013, 06:56 AM.
                  Bo

Comment

As Bo said, If you will tell us what kind of car you have, and what pieces you need, perhaps some of us can help you out.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

studebaker56J I had complete stainless for both sides from front to back.The shortest ones were not damaged. Thank you-Bob Fish
                      If it is for a 56j I can help out. Or any other ck
                      Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

Advise please!!

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
                        Robert,

I have stood on both ends of this issue, being a dealer and buyer. With that in mind, let me ask you a couple questions.

1. Did you request the seller/shipper to insure the items for full purchase amount and pay for that much insurance? If you did and the seller/shipper didn't so insure the items, then the seller/shipper is at fault and is liable. If you didn't ask for, or pay to have the items insured, then it is your fault and you can't hold the seller/shipper liable.

2. Did the seller/shipper request that the items be fully insured for the purchase amount and ask you to pay for the insurance? If the seller/shipper did and you paid for the insurance and seller/shipper did not insure the items for the full amount as requested, then the seller/shipper is at fault and is liable. If no insurance was discussed, then the seller/shipper isn't responsible.

3. Did the seller/shipper volunteer to insure the items for the full purchase price, or minimum insurance and pay for it out of his/her pocket? If the seller/shipper volunteered to insure the items for any amount, then the seller/shipper is the legal recepiant of the proceeds from any claim and isn't legally required to reimburse you for the lose, unless he/she insured the items on your behalf and listed you as the insurer.

4. If neither one of you discussed insurance, or amount of insurance, then both of you ought to be taken out back and whipped for short sightedness. Both knowing that in this day and time, you don't send anything through the mail without full coverage, and package tracking. Yes, insurance is an option, not an obligation. You, the buyer, are the responsible party to ensure your interests first and foremost. The seller/shipper should have your interests in mind, but really he/she is only responsible for protecting their own interests, by being paid up front, first and foremost.

Morally speaking, the seller/shipper should do everything in his/her power to assist you, but when it comes right down to the bottom line, it is your responsibility to ensure your interests have a positive out come. Anything else falls under the old adage Studebaker used, "Give more then you promise". A suggestion might be that the seller/shipper offer to repair the items at half the stated cost (from Matthew), or some other gesture showing that we are all in the same boat. Reminding each of us of the reasons we are here, namely keeping these vehicles alive and the shared comradery we have through these vehicles.

As I've said, I've been on both sides of this issue. As a SDC member and dealer, I would hope you two fine people can work this out between you. I readily offer any assistance I can to helping both of you.

BTW, which car do these pieces fit and which pieces were damaged?
                        BO, Insurance was to be provided which I would pay for with shipping cost. I was told by shipper not to pay shipping cost untill I was satisfied. So far I have not paid for shipping costs as I am not satisfied. I would gladly pay, even now ,if the shipper would do as he stated, and replace the damaged items.
                        The trim is for a 1958 Packard hardtop. It is the complete trim for both sides, front to back. I have two of the longest pieces already on hand, from another source. The shortest pieces were not damaged as they were not at the damage site to the ABS pipe. There are still about 6 damaged pieces. They don't really all have to be replaced,because Mathew said he could probably repair them. Only two pieces really should be replaced because they both have two bends in them.
                        I appreciate everyones trying to help me resolve this problem.

Comment

I really feel for you there mate , I must admit I've had some stuff sent from members on here to England and so far its all arrived in one piece ( a big thanks to them) if you guys from the u s can't get anything sorted what chance would I have !!!

Comment

Since people want me to be specific, I went out & checked what pieces I still need. I need replacement pieces for the large bottom trim on both front fenders; The long, large bottom trim on the drivers quarter panel can be repaired; the small, upper trim on the passenger front fender can be repaired. This is the bottom line, as I have gotten other pieces to replace the other damaged pieces. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

BO, Insurance was to be provided which I would pay for with shipping cost. I was told by shipper not to pay shipping cost untill I was satisfied. So far I have not paid for shipping costs as I am not satisfied. I would gladly pay, even now ,if the shipper would do as he stated, and replace the damaged items.
                              The trim is for a 1958 Packard hardtop. It is the complete trim for both sides, front to back. I have two of the longest pieces already on hand, from another source. The shortest pieces were not damaged as they were not at the damage site to the ABS pipe. There are still about 6 damaged pieces. They don't really all have to be replaced,because Mathew said he could probably repair them. Only two pieces really should be replaced because they both have two bends in them.
                              I appreciate everyones trying to help me resolve this problem.

I really hate to say this, but you are not answering the question. If insurance was included who specified the amount of insurance coverage? Did you specify full coverage, did the seller/shipper specify full coverage? It sounds like neither one of you discussed this issue. The seller/shipper put minimum insurance on the item and that had to be paid along with shipping cost on his end before the item left the building. All of this insurance business should have been dealt with up front and paid for before the item was shipped. Since you've not paid the shipping cost, which included the insurance fee, then you really haven't paid for any kind of insurance at all. The seller/shipper paid for it and is the one to collect.

From what you indicate, the seller said he would try and replace the pieces. Pieces for a Packard hardtop are amoung the hardest pieces to find. I'd be surprised if he could replace them, readily, or easily.

So, why aren't the two of you talking on the phone, instead of trading emails. I've found that emails often cause more problems between people then they solve, and missunderstandings ocur much more frequently because of the inability to actually understand what the other person is saying.
                              Bo

Comment

Working...
                              X