?? Steering Wheel Assembly 1955 President Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?? Steering Wheel Assembly 1955 President Coupe

1955 President coupe, auto shifter on the tree, horn ring and factory turn signal assembly. I need a picture or parts breakdown for the area of the steering wheel. The turn signal switch is installed and is operating correctly. The horn wire correctly activates the horn when I short it to ground. I bent the tabbed locking washer over the wheel nut.

That brings me to the point where I stopped. I have the horn ring, the rubber three-screw spacer, and the plastic inserts for same. I also have a large flat washer. This washer is bent in waves and appears to be intended as some sort of spring? It is large enough that its center hole fits over the steering wheel nut. I'm not sure where this washer is to be placed.

I didn't find a steering wheel assembly breakdown picture in the Studebaker Manual or in the S.I. Catalog. However, Plate 13-4 (type B) in the Studebaker 1955-58 Chasis Manual shows the setup, but not that bent washer.

I wonder if I have all the parts I need for reassembly. Tomorrow I will phone S. International and order a new rubber insert assembly that holds the 3 screws, and the screws. I don't know how to post pictures here. I can send a copy of that manual page via Private Messge if you request one.

Your assistance is appreciated.

C/B

Sounds like you need an exploded diagram of the steering column. That should be in the body book for a '55. I would check that but I don't have one of the books here right now.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I don't think you will like my answer...

I am struggling to recall where exactly, but I think you are going to have to take the steering wheel off and the bearing holder too. I think that washer goes between the shift collar and bearing holder . Hope I am wrong. Seems to me that part appears in the '51-'54 chassis manual. I will take a look tonight if nobody has more info before.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Ok, took a look in the '51-'54 chassis manual. Your '55 should be the same.

That wavy washer goes UNDER the shift collar. You will probably find this same illustration in the transmission section of your chassis manual and NOT in the steering section.

In the illustration it is item 0850-33. This is P/N 532545 WASHER, SPRING 1 1/2" I.D.

So, sorry to say, looks like you will have to take it all apart again to put this part in its place
        Attached Files

Jeff in ND

Comment

Forum members have scored another touchdown! Thanks to your posts, I found the "Wavy Washer" pictured. Not in the Steering Chapter of the manual (that would have been too logical), but in the "Transmission" Chapter. Wavy washer does indeed require disassembly and insertion below my shifter collar.

Out to the garage after having watched the spectacular finish of the NASCAR Saturday event! Catch it on the nightly sports news if you haven't seen it.

Thank You All!

C/B

Comment

Working...
          X