62 thru 64 GT Hawk frame vs. 56 GH frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 thru 64 GT Hawk frame vs. 56 GH frame

What gauge is the 62-64 GT Hawk frame and what gauge is the 56 GH frame? Found a coouple of threads that refer to "heavy" and "lighter" frame, but need to know gauge difference. Ken, Deltaville, Va

While you're clarifying, wasn't it only the '64s which had the heavier frames?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      While you're clarifying, wasn't it only the '64s which had the heavier frames?

jack vines
      Jack, not sure of when "heaver" frame started, maybe someone can help. Ken

Comment

a little to the side of the subject thread, anyone have a good non rusted out frame for a 64 GTH? Whatever gauge mine was it's a bit thinner now
        Dave Hugo
        Wellford, SC
        1940 Champion
        1950 Champion Coupe
        1955 President Coupe
        1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

Per the 59-64 Shop Manual: 1959-61 Hawks used 13 gage (.0897") frames for domestic, and 11 gage (1196") for export & Canada. Beginning in 1962, all V8s went to 11 gage. I am pretty sure, 56J also used the 13 gage frame.

As for swapping a GT frame under a 56J, been there-done that. Its easy, and you will like the results, unless you are worried about "being judged".

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            Per the 59-64 Shop Manual: 1959-61 Hawks used 13 gage (.0897") frames for domestic, and 11 gage (1196") for export & Canada. Beginning in 1962, all V8s went to 11 gage. I am pretty sure, 56J also used the 13 gage frame.

As for swapping a GT frame under a 56J, been there-done that. Its easy, and you will like the results, unless you are worried about "being judged".
            Joe, thanks. Already did it (56J on 63 frame) works great. A person wanted to know guage differrence and all I could say is that it was "heaiver". ken

Comment

I thought that 1953s started with 13 gauge/0.078 inch and all GT Hawks had 11 gauge/0.120 inch.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've got a decent '63 GTH frame, just about as far away from SC as you can get and still be in the continential US.

Comment

Originally posted by StudegaryB View Post
                  I've got a decent '63 GTH frame, just about as far away from SC as you can get and still be in the continential US.
                  Maybe I'll pick it up next time I visit my homeland and my brother in Oregon where I was raised but never grew up.
                  My first real move away from home besides the military was Vancouver WA to Orlando FL - now that's pushing the limits of the continental US
                  Dave Hugo
                  Wellford, SC
                  1940 Champion
                  1950 Champion Coupe
                  1955 President Coupe
                  1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

Working...
                  X