Cruiser seat covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruiser seat covers

Hi all! I have a '63 Cruiser 3speed/OD that I'm looking to replace the seat covers. It has the split-back front reclining seat and the rear fold-down center arm rest. Both covers have white cloth center inserts w/ rose mist vinyl. The top of the back seat is sun cooked and the vinyl is very brittle. The rest of the interior panels are in almost new condition so all I really need are replacement seat covers. On the venders page I went to Phantom auto works and was redirected to Southwest Studebaker. I emailed them as to what I was looking for and recieved this reply from Rene', " Studebaker had vinyl inserts not cloth. You would need to send us your old covers for us to make a pattern, and would not include the emblem at the top of the seat back". I had requested a quote as well, but Rene' did not include one.
    I don't think I want to deal with this guy. My question is where can I get quality reproduction or NOS seat covers for my car?
    Thanks
    Brian

Try Will Sander at Starlite Studebaker for NOS.

Comment

I can't keep track of where or who Phantom Auto Works is right now.....I had Rose Mist 63' Vinyl/cloth inserts made up by them (post Rene Hargar) with NOS materials. They had quite a lot of 63' interior materials available at the time and made up and covered my 63' Cruiser's seats. The work was excellent. The vinyl material is exactly the same as the door panel vinyl. The cloth inserts are no way white or off white...but beige or perhaps "cocoa"...Yes the same color as Nestle's Quick..! These are NOS materials and look great. Wish I had more info...

Comment

Rene used to be Phanton Auto works,he isn ow Southeast Studebaker. His quality of work is 2nd to none .He is the best

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
          Try Will Sander at Starlite Studebaker for NOS.
          Have they started selling inventory yet?

Comment

Thanks guys, I went to Starlight Studebaker's web page and emailed the request form to them. On their page they are selling stuff and have almost completed going through all their new stuff and getting it organized.
            I'm wondering why Rene would tell me that the seat cover inserts in my car are not cloth, and that they don't have the pattern for those seats. Is there any other vendors out there that can do these seat covers?Click image for larger version

Name:	401946_s5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1679066
            Brian

Comment

Rene is probably telling the truth, as he would know what the material actually was, maybe your car has had an upholstery change, then again, we often say that Studebaker did whatever it took to sell a car, so who can say.

Best place that I know of in the US is SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby OR, if they don't have it they'll make it.

Suppliers of quality classic auto interiors since 1977. The largest inventory of Auto Upholstery Cloth, Vinyl, Headliners, Carpets, Vinyl Tops, & Door Panels.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I think the confusion is because somewhere here it was said that your cloth inserts were 'white' which is not something Studebaker ever did. BUT....they did have white vinyl inserts in 1963. Thats probably what caused Rene to make the correction about vinyl trim.

I am very familiar with the 1963 rose mist (Chestnut) cloth and vinyl trim and what is shown in your photo looks to be very original to me. And not all that bad for its age!

Chris.

Comment

...my guess is Rene made a simple mistake or he doesn't have the Chestnut original cloth.....I don't see any pics of your interior. I had another 63' Cruiser that now belongs to Chip D. in CT...goes by Raoul on this site....That car had original green/white, vinyl/vinyl. Great contrasting combo.....If someone has the 63' dealers sales book, a scan would show the comparison.....

Comment

Your right, it isn't really white. It is about chocolat milk colored, I thought they were just dirty. On the other hand it is fabric. The seat covers look very nice, but they are very delicate. They need cleaning but I'm afraid they will disintigrate if I do. A week ago I sat in the back seat for the first time since buying this car three months ago and the top of the back seat vinyl broke. Yes, broke! There's about a twelve inch split along the top of the back seat now. It looked great and all, but there's no life left in the vinyl. I'll give SMS fabrics a look.
                    Thanks all for the info. I'll post more later.
                    Brian

Comment

Sounds like Rene may need to work on his people and selling skills.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Whoever got the Phantom (Ohio - Michelle) Newman & Altman stuff had yards of 63' vinyl and chestnut material. I think they said they could do several complete cars in vinyl/vinyl, and many more cars with cloth/vinyl.......find out where their stock is for your best fit....They were also doing door panels.

Comment

Brian, Maybe if you send Rene good pictures of your interior he will have a better understanding of your needs? Would probably be a good idea for any vendor that you contact. Just a suggestion, good luck. If you need a local upholstery shop to install once you find materials I recommend Sew-Pro in Wheatland. He does very good work and his prices are reasonable.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Will at Starlite picked up most of the stuff when Phantom went out of business. I would check with Will and Lori. They are outstanding individuals to work with and as honest as can be. You will need to be patient with them. Studebaker's are certainly their love, but they both have career's that are demanding and sometimes take a little bit of time to respond to individuals. Are you able to post any pics of your interior. That would answer a lot of questions quickly.

Comment

I sent an order form to Starlite Studebaker (Will & Lori) a few days ago,I haven't recieved a reply yet. I also sent off an email to SMS. SMS replied that they have the correct mateials but would like me to send them the old covers. No quote on price from SMS yet. I'm not in a big hurry to get these covers, I'd just like some ball-park estimates on what this will cost before I go and remove the seat covers and send across the country to someone to make a pattern. I'm a little suprised, I have thirteen years experience dealing with locomotive parts vendors, and they're not coy about price quotes like these guys seem to be. I've sent pictures of the seats to all that I've contacted, but they act like they didn't see them. Thanks for the tip Pat, I'll keep that in mind when the time comes. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X