Maiden Voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden Voyage

This past summer we decided to get my Dad a bullet nose starlight coupe. He had always wanted one, so in October he got an early Christmas present. He likes to have something to work on, but we didn't think he would be up to a full blown restoration, so we decided to get him a car that would be a good driver without too much work. After some searching we found a good candidate in CA owned by John Sweeney. Pat Dilling was nice enough to check the car out and confirm its condition. The deal was made and the car arrived in October. We decided to go ahead and give it to him then instead of trying to hide it until Christmas.

So we spent the next month deciding what he wanted to do with the car. He decided he wanted a good reliable driver, not a "show car" that you would be scared to drive. So we decided that to accomplish this, we needed to rebuild the carb, check out the brakes, add and electric fuel pump and convert it from a 6V to 12V.

We rebuilt the carb first and that made the car run much smoother. I also started identifying the parts we needed for the 12V conversion and getting those items ordered. We installed the 12V conversion during our Christmas holiday. The conversion went very smooth and the car starts really easy now. Plus all of the electrical stuff works now.

During all this time, Dad had been driving it around the yard and the brakes seemed to be working good, but.... At some point during the 12V conversion Dad decided to check the brake fluid level. The cap of the original MC busted during removal, so we ended up replacing the entire MC and decided to do the rubber hoses at the same time as a precaution. When we tried to bleed the brake system, one of the bleeder valves broke off in a wheel cylinder so we had to replace that. Once that was done we started bleeding the system. Once we started pumping new clean fluid through the system, a front wheel cylinder started leaking, so we decided to just replace them all. We were now able to bleed the system but we had an odd problem where after we drove the car a little the brakes would build a little more pressure every time the brakes were applied until eventually they would lock up the wheels. We first found that the front brake adjusters didn't work right on the forward shoe, but worked fine on the rear shoe. It turned out that one set of shoes were installed backwards, the auto adjuster shoe was installed as the rear shoe. The other side didn't have any of the auto adjuster mechanism in there. So we ordered all those parts from SI and installed them. Now the shoes could be adjusted properly, however, the brakes would still build pressure and lock up. By now we had replaced everything except the hill holder. So we pulled it apart and and found that it was full of sludge. We cleaned it up and installed the SI kit and put it all back together. Now the brakes are finally working properly.

The brake repairs have been going on for about a month now because we kept having to order parts. During this time I could tell Dad was starting to get impatient. He was ready to go for a ride. Well we finally got the brakes working Saturday evening, but it had started snowing so we didn't want to take it out on the road for the first time while it was snowing, just in case we had problems. Today the weather had cleared up so he was finally able to hit the road for the first time.

A good trip, car ran well and everything worked properly. Dad had a big smile. A good day and good memory.

Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Wow,
    You are makin memories that are priceless! I doubt you'll ever regret this venture.

Comment

Yes that is quite the trip for Dad,just a good guy thing <G>
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Super. Looks like a nice time. Congrats on the project. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You will never regret making first rate brakes your first priority. Kudos to you and your dad! Now, time for a good wash and wax!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That's nothing but wonderful! What an amazing son you are!

Mike
            1950 Champion Sedan - Kid Car

Comment

We only drove about 4 miles because we had some family in town that we wanted to spend time with, but that 4 miles seems to have Dad excited about this thing. He is already talking about what he wants to do to it next. It looks like my next task is to figure out why the overdrive isn't working and he wants to buff the paint to see if the shine will come back.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Cool story - good-lookin' car! Goooooooooooooooooooooooo Dad!
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

great story! looking forward to hearing about it and seeing more pics...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Before buffing the paint, you might want to check out a thread from a few weeks ago. A guy has a website that tells all about how to bring back a shine without taking off too much paint. The biggest mistake newbies make is using compound that is too agressive.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

This is great! Somehow I missed your post when you put it up on the 17th. Very happy this is turning out well, I am glad to have played a small part in it. Keep us posted on future progress and trips.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Way Cool and really nice car too.

Dean.

Comment

That smile on your Dad's face is worth the work! Congratulations!!!
                          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I hope your first stop was the car wash!
                            Good Job!
                            Good Roads
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Buy the smile on your Dads face, you've accomplished something very special with your father! Some of my best memories spent with my Dad when he was alive was when we "worked together" on our cars and trucks,and even if we were on the other sides of the US I still called my Dad for advise for problems I was working on, he always had the right answers. have been saving an almost perfect Bulletnose Bullet off of my 1950 Bullet nose that I sold years ago, and if you need it for your dads car, you can have it for shipping cost. Best regards to you and your Dad.. Mike..

Comment

Working...
                              X