Cleaning front suspension 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Cleaning front suspension 1950 Champion

Anyone have any suggestions how to soften the 60 year old grease/dirt around the front suspension. Tried a putty knife and hammer and chisel. That was like trying to break up concrete. It's 1/2" thisk in places. I was wondering if anything like carosine or penetrating oil might soften it some. Anyone found anything that works? Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

I have used a heat gun with good results, the type used for softening paint. Just be careful around rubber components.

Comment

First, find a spot on your property where you don't want ANYTHING to grow. If it is a gravel area, don't plan on walking on it for a long time....you'll track mud/grease etc. everywhere you DON'T want it. BT,DT. Your local parts store, maybe even Kmart or Walmart will carry a product named "GUNK HEAVY DUTY ENGINE DEGREASER". Buy a gallon can...you may even need more, and a "throw-away" 4" paint brush. If you have a disposable pump-up hand sprayer, that would work, otherwise, brush it on everything going back over it as it soaks in. Trust me, it will take several coats and maybe several days to penetrate to the metal. Forgot to tell you while at K Mart or Wallyworld, pick up a "throw-away" plastic rain suit and some type of face protector shield. If you don't already have, or can borrow, rent a heavy duty pressure washer. After the Gunk does its job, you'll be surprised at how fast that pressure washer can take it ALL off. Be prepared to paint it soon as it is completely dry, otherwise it will develop a film of rust and you'll have to remove THAT before you can paint. Nasty job...but you won't regret it when it's done. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
      Auburn, GA

Comment

Chisel ?
        I cleaned up a 56 that had THICK crud all over the front end.
        And HARD thick crud.
        Chiseled/scraped off 10 to 15 pounds off the thickest stuff.
        It looked as if someone had plastered asphalt paving all over it.
        It must have been driven on oiled, graveled roads a lot.
        Chiseled off [actually used a straight screwdriver and small hammer] the thickest stuff and then proceeded to clean up with a good cleaner and pressure wash.
        It's dirty work.
        Oh yeah, do a grease job on it once your through. You will have washed off grease that you need from places that you didn't want to remove it from.
        Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM. Reason: added something
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
        X