1983...Best Year Post Stude Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983...Best Year Post Stude Avanti?

Maybe...maybe not. But My '83 (RQB 3655) never fails to impress Me when the 'going gets tough'. It really performed admirably after the blizzard we had last weekend!
    Attached Files

I like the wide whites in the first picture.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      Maybe...maybe not. But My '83 (RQB 3655) never fails to impress Me when the 'going gets tough'. It really performed admirably after the blizzard we had last weekend!
      ED

From my limited exposure I'd say it was one of the best years on a Studebaker frame. If I compare the 74 (RQB 2123) I'm working on to the 83 (RQB 3651) I've finished, the 83 is substantially better. The 74 in places looks like a kit car, like the frame torched off to add goofy bumpers is full of weldicles with no attempt to grind 'em off.

The glass body also just feels/looks thinner in spots where I've had to repair it and there is just a feeling of cheaper in the fit, finish and materials. It's not just an age thing as both have over 100K miles.

The engine in the 83 is bulletproof but not much of a performer but the 74 was no Can Am car either.

The leather in the 83 is about as good as it gets (according to Leatherique, where I sent the sample for color matching) and Avanti had switched to four speed automatics also. Everything just fits and feels like quality.

By the way, Kudos to you for putting yours on the road and driving the heck out of it.

Bob

Comment

I notice that you two have 1983 Avantis just a few S/Ns apart and right after the prototype Anniversary Special Edition was built.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I notice that you two have 1983 Avantis just a few S/Ns apart and right after the prototype Anniversary Special Edition was built.
          Bob's '83 is serial# RQB 3651 and My '83 has serial# 3655....Do you happen to know the serial# on that prototype Gary?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Bob's '83 is serial# RQB 3651 and My '83 has serial# 3655....Do you happen to know the serial# on that prototype Gary?
            I believe that the proto. ASE was 3650. The production ASE's started with 3801. There is a gap in S/Ns from the "regular" Avantis and the ASE's.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
              I like the wide whites in the first picture.
              Yes..the 'Wide Whites'..............Heavy wet sticky snow......gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sure)

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I believe that the proto. ASE was 3650. The production ASE's started with 3801. There is a gap in S/Ns from the "regular" Avantis and the ASE's.
                You're right, the 20th Anniversary prototype serial number was 3650. Spent a lot of time with it in fact, my Dad was the first owner.

Comment

Working...
                X