Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best handling Studebaker you have ever driven??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best handling Studebaker you have ever driven??

I'm a handling guy, but I'm also a classic american iron guy, and alot people say those two things just don't jive.
    popular period road test mags give the studes pretty good reviews but being a good handling car for 1950s America doesn't really say much. So I'm wondering what's the best handling and I don't mean riding I mean handling studebaker you've driven? I don't wanna hear about any mustang ll front ends or frame swaps from other non-stude cars but I'd be happy to hear about custom parts and custom frames that made a difference just so long as it stays for the most part a studebaker frame. I would never want a classic to handle and feel like a modern car but I like a cars that hugs the even if it takes some muscle in the arms to make it do so.
    Also if you know of any old road tests that pertain to this subject feel free to link and post them here, and the same goes for web sites that sell suspension parts that improve the original design.

P.S. Guys this is my first thread so bear with me. I might have made a couple of errors if so tell me and I'll correct them. Thanks, Danny

I have had over 40 Studes in the last 20 -30 years.by far the best driving studes are the 66s with the 283 engine,I have had 6 1966 Daytonas and they have all been very good driving cars,coming in 2nd are the 64s,have had no experience with 65s.Right now I have 2 1966 Daytonas and a 56 Golden Hawk and the Golden Hawk is away down the list.

Comment

I have driven many Studebakers through the years. Most of them belonged to LI Chapter members. The best handling one was a 2 door '50 or '51 Commander V-8 w/OD. I had borrowed that car from Frank McManus. I could approach 90 mph on the Northern State Pkwy which had nothing but curves, curves and more curves. That car hugged the road as if it was glued down!
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I was happily impressed with my brothers 63 Avanti after I finished the total restoration/upgrade. Everything on the car was rebuilt, replaced, or modified for better safety. I haven't run it through a road coarse or drag strip, but it handles the road excellently, has great engine performance(a few runs past 130 mph), and stops very well. We added Turner brakes w/dual master, flanged rear axles, a fuel vapor recovery system, and minor engine mods. Thanks, B.V.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjazzmillcreek View Post
          I have had over 40 Studes in the last 20 -30 years.by far the best driving studes are the 66s with the 283 engine,I have had 6 1966 Daytonas and they have all been very good driving cars,coming in 2nd are the 64s,have had no experience with 65s.Right now I have 2 1966 Daytonas and a 56 Golden Hawk and the Golden Hawk is away down the list.
          I agree with Ray. Our 1966 Rally Car was a great handling car. So was my 1966 Cruiser company car.
          Stu Chapman

Comment

I've never drove one before. Hope to this summer.....

Comment

Does driving in your backyard count? I hope to be on the road soon too. When I get there I'll report on the handling upgrades to my '64 Daytona. That being 225-60-16" on Crown Vic cop car wheels and a mid 80's Camaro rear swaybar. I considered these likely necessary with the '85 Corvette engine and 700R4 trans.

Tom
              Attached Files
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I have to say the 64 Challenger pictured below. Yes it is a purpose built car and does the job it was intended for. It is completely street legal (with the side exhaust closed). VERY easy to get in trouble on the street if one is not careful.

Dan Miller
                Auburn, GA

Comment

Have to agree with Ray and Stu....the 66 is the best handling Studebaker I've owned.
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I hav en't had a 66. my 64 cruiser is the best I have driven. It was pretty sporty except for the dog crap slow steering!
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                      I'm a handling guy, but I'm also a classic american iron guy, and alot people say those two things just don't jive.
                      popular period road test mags give the studes pretty good reviews but being a good handling car for 1950s America doesn't really say much. So I'm wondering what's the best handling and I don't mean riding I mean handling studebaker you've driven? I don't wanna hear about any mustang ll front ends or frame swaps from other non-stude cars but I'd be happy to hear about custom parts and custom frames that made a difference just so long as it stays for the most part a studebaker frame. I would never want a classic to handle and feel like a modern car but I like a cars that hugs the even if it takes some muscle in the arms to make it do so.
                      Also if you know of any old road tests that pertain to this subject feel free to link and post them here, and the same goes for web sites that sell suspension parts that improve the original design.

P.S. Guys this is my first thread so bear with me. I might have made a couple of errors if so tell me and I'll correct them. Thanks, Danny
                      Far and away the best handling Studebaker I have ever driven was the '63 R-2 four-speed Avanti I owned from '78 to the late '80s. It was ordered by the original owner with fast manual steering and heavy duty springs. He didn't like the Gabriel shocks so he installed Konis. The only thing I did to enhance the handling a little was putting on a set of Pirelli radials. Only reason I sold the car was it was factory black with a black interior- killer in the summer. I sold it to Studefan and he still has it.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
                        I have to say the 64 Challenger pictured below. Yes it is a purpose built car and does the job it was intended for. It is completely street legal (with the side exhaust closed). VERY easy to get in trouble on the street if one is not careful.

Dan Miller
                        Auburn, GA
                        So is that chassis modified studebaker, or something completely different? and what's under that hood. I like that it's ahead of the corvette and if its's mostly studebaker still albeit not stock studebaker that's pretty cool.

Comment

My best driving and handling Studebaker is my 54 Commander Conestoga wagon. It has rebuilt front suspension, radial tires, power steering, plus a 289 engine, rear sway bar, and 3.31 differential, all from a 63 Cruiser.

What would make it better? Disk brakes and a modern automatic transmission with overdrive.
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Have to agree with Ray, Stu. and Bob...the 66 is a really good handling car. I have not had much experience driving too many Studebakers. My '55 steers like a brick in comparison.
                            sigpic
                            55 President Deluxe
                            64 Commander
                            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Best handling Stude I've ever driven is mine. I know that the "technology" I'm using is antiquated, but it still works. Front springs were cut 2 coils, 1-1/4 inch front sway bar with poly bushings, 205-60-15s on the front. Rear springs have poly bushings with 265-50-15s. The combo of the anti roll bar in front and the extra bite of the rear rubber seems to make it corner as well as I've ever needed it to. Might not beat a modern car in an autocross, but it serves me well on the streets.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X