My son's new bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son's new bed

I realized after mentioning this in another forum that it might appeal to a few folks here.

Anyway, I have a 3 year old who is crazy about Studebakers. He can tell you the names of most models, or if not the names, at least body types (e.g. "bulletnose" or "Loewy Coupe"). He's even doing a pretty good job helping me assemble my Avanti model I picked up last week.

So since he's starting to outgrow his toddler bed, we've been going around to stores looking at twin sized beds for kids. At one store they had a simple race car bed. It was basically two MDF boards cut out in the shape of a sports car. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. I didn't like several things about their design, so we didn't buy it. My son really liked it, but after that trip he told me what he really wanted. "Daddy, can I have a Studebaker bed?" Now, who can resist a question like that?

So I fired up my CAD program and built this model. He was able to instantly recognize what it was, so I imagine it should be pretty obvious for all here, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti bed 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1738063Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti bed.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1738064

Obviously, the CAD model doesn't have paint, but you get the idea. The front bumper will allow him to step on it to climb into the bed until he gets a little taller. I haven't decided if I want to build a "rear deck lid" or not yet, so I left that off, but the bed will have a "trunk" he can put things into. It's kind of small, but so is the real thing!

With the 3D model done, I have all my dimensions so I will probably start building the bed in the next week or two, depending on work. I'll post some pictures as progress is made.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Originally posted by JimC View Post
    I realized after mentioning this in another forum that it might appeal to a few folks here.

Anyway, I have a 3 year old who is crazy about Studebakers. He can tell you the names of most models, or if not the names, at least body types (e.g. "bulletnose" or "Loewy Coupe"). He's even doing a pretty good job helping me assemble my Avanti model I picked up last week.

So since he's starting to outgrow his toddler bed, we've been going around to stores looking at twin sized beds for kids. At one store they had a simple race car bed. It was basically two MDF boards cut out in the shape of a sports car. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. I didn't like several things about their design, so we didn't buy it. My son really liked it, but after that trip he told me what he really wanted. "Daddy, can I have a Studebaker bed?" Now, who can resist a question like that?

So I fired up my CAD program and built this model. He was able to instantly recognize what it was, so I imagine it should be pretty obvious for all here, too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21320[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21321[/ATTACH]

Obviously, the CAD model doesn't have paint, but you get the idea. The front bumper will allow him to step on it to climb into the bed until he gets a little taller. I haven't decided if I want to build a "rear deck lid" or not yet, so I left that off, but the bed will have a "trunk" he can put things into. It's kind of small, but so is the real thing!

With the 3D model done, I have all my dimensions so I will probably start building the bed in the next week or two, depending on work. I'll post some pictures as progress is made.
    I was wondering what you we're going to do after your last post about the bed. Nice work and you may have stumbled on a second career.

Bob

Comment

Put the deck lid on, as a toy box or storage area...then you could park her nose against the wall like in a garage. make sure to put a license plate on the back too

Comment

Funny you say that, I was planning to use the scrap board after I do the cutouts to make a few little add-ons, one being a custom set of license plates (A door handle and mirrors are also on the potential extras list.) I think when it's done and painted, it should look pretty cool.

Comment

The proportions look all out of whack. Well... maybe not. I suppose if you HAD to haul a mattress with an Avanti, you would have to remove the windshield since the rear window is too narrow. So, I stand corrected. Looks great!!! JK
          sals54

Comment

Looks good Jim! Like Bob said, you may have come up with a "side" career. I wouldn't be surprised to see requests start coming in. Your little guy is going to love his new bed. Best of luck, Bill.

Comment

Looks like the perfect first production Avanti III. Great project please post pics as work commences and the finished product evolves.
              John Hull

Comment

Now that is really cool! I love it. Maybe you could start up that second career Bob was talking about by selling these in the SDC store.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

We once owned a mattress that had Avanti on the label. I wonder if they are still available? If so...that would be a good choice for the bed.

Also, be careful where you post about this...the NADER crowd will likely find some regulation you are violating...charge you with abuse...legislation to follow....
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Very neat!

Comment

It looks like the mattress needs to be mounted lower in the front to keep the classic "rake" going. Round or square headlights? The lift up trunk sounds really great.
                      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Really great idea and well executed!!!!
                        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                          It looks like the mattress needs to be mounted lower in the front to keep the classic "rake" going. Round or square headlights? The lift up trunk sounds really great.
                          Definitely round headlights! Got nothing against the square ones, but I like the look of the rounds. The overhanging mattress is an issue that bugs me. I can lower the mattress, but then the framing for the mattress hangs out the bottom. As it is, there's not room for a box spring, but he doesn't really need one, as it will have a solid base to put the mattress on. I'm thinking that I'll wind up getting a thinner mattress than the one I used in the CAD model. That one is a plush pillowtop that's about a foot thick, and he's a small enough guy that a 9" thick mattress would work, and that would just about eliminate the overhang.

John H. - You bet. This weekend I will probably buy the materials, and then next weekend we're off, so I'm hoping assembly will begin.

John C. - I wouldn't worry. Nader coined "unsafe at any speed", so this should be okay, since it doesn't move at all. But just to be sure, I'll go ahead and install some restraints, er I mean "seatbelts". My son should like that, anyway. "Okay son, time to get you buckled in so you won't come wandering into Mom and Dad's room at 3am."

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm probably as excited about this little project as my boy is. I'm trying to convince the wife to let me make one for our bed, but she's been hesitant so far.

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21320[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21321[/ATTACH]

Great idea Jim. You did an excellent job. Now you can start on other Studebaker models.
                            Stu

Comment

Update time.

This weekend my wife and son went up north to visit her side of the family. So I grabbed my stuff, and I started assembly on the bed. I have all the parts cut down now, but there wasn't enough time to get it 100% assembled before my son got home. Even as it sits, he absolutely loves it! He was basically in bed the moment they got home from the trip. Here's a link to my blog post on assembling the bed - http://renaissancejim.com/2013/02/av...roject-part-1/

And if you're not the type to wander too far offsite, here are a couple highlight photos from today:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9358sm.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1679144Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9366sm.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1679145Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9367sm.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1679146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9369sm.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1679147Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9371sm.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1679148

Comment

Working...
                              X