Looking for a Steel Tech Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Steel Tech Solution

Has anyone else had problems with buying from Steel Tech on ebay? After 110 wonderful ebay transactions over the years, I have a problem. I bought a disc brake kit June 25th, and paid in full, same day with Paypal. Next day he refunded the PP, and said I had to pay by check or MO; I sent a check next day, which cleared my bank 10 days later.

After a month of waiting, I emailed the seller. He said the rotors were on back order, and ofered to send the rest of the kit then, and the rotors later; I declined. A week later, I emailed, demanding a refund; no answer, but a couple days later, a box with everything but the rotors arrived. I emailed next day, and he said the rotors were in, and he would ship them in a day or two. Nine days later, I emailed to ask where the rotors are, and he said he'd have to look into it. That was now five days ago; no answer and no rotors.

Last night I filed a complaint with ebay. The seller answered today, asking me to identify myself; he said he is dealing with too many buyers, and needs my name, etc. (even thought the ebay item # provides this info).

A few oddoties: When I email this guy it is via ebay, but he always answers by private email. Also, I am clueless as to why he rejected PayPal.

Looking at his feedback, he is also a POR15 seller, and apparantly sells lots of it. Consequently, the 1.4% negative feedback rating appears distorted; of his 3000+ ebay transactions, he only has about 50 negative & 50 neutral feedbacks, however, it appears they are mainly for Steel Tech stuff, and very little POR15. He does not sell anywhere near as much Steel Tech as POR15, so looking at the math, the percentage of bad feedback of Steel Tech is far greater than 1.4%, but this is obscured by the kajillion positive POR15 transactions.

Has anyone else had a less than pleasant experience with this seller, or is this just my imagination. At any rate, I am still waiting on rotors, and am beginning to doubt I will ever see them w/o taking more agresive action.

Joe H

Too bad you already paid. Ed is still waiting for a refund for rear disc brake kit that did not fit as advertised, sent back and recieved by Dave Levesque (steel tech) last october. Ed was told "I'll look into it" ---
    Hope e-bay can help you.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Too bad you already paid. Ed is still waiting for a refund for rear disc brake kit that did not fit as advertised, sent back and recieved by Dave Levesque (steel tech) last october. Ed was told "I'll look into it" ---
      Hope e-bay can help you.

53commander HDTP
      53 Champion HDTP
      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
      64 Champ long bed V8
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I wanted to buy his brakes for my Avanti; he doesn't even respond well to we who haven't paid! What an idiot!
        This comment is the result of 3 attempts over 2 years. I bought the Turner brakes.
        Since he is often waiting for parts, it would be interesting to find out who really supplies him, and get someone selling them who can deal with the public.
        As disorganized as he his, it sounds like he is using POR15 profits to buy brake parts on COD to fill old orders; that's why he doesn't inventory anything....no $$$. Doesn't look good, from another businessman's eyes.

Comment

I wanted to buy his brakes for my Avanti; he doesn't even respond well to we who haven't paid! What an idiot!
          This comment is the result of 3 attempts over 2 years. I bought the Turner brakes.
          Since he is often waiting for parts, it would be interesting to find out who really supplies him, and get someone selling them who can deal with the public.
          As disorganized as he his, it sounds like he is using POR15 profits to buy brake parts on COD to fill old orders; that's why he doesn't inventory anything....no $$$. Doesn't look good, from another businessman's eyes.

Comment

Another oddity is that thru this all, he has continued to advertise the same kit in several different style listings on ebay, with each ad stating x number are available.

Joe H

Comment

Another oddity is that thru this all, he has continued to advertise the same kit in several different style listings on ebay, with each ad stating x number are available.

Joe H

Comment

This is really too bad. He USED to be a pretty good guy. 4 or 5 years ago I delt with him a few times and he "always" answered e-mails and answered the phone (I looked...lost the phone number). He did what he said he'd do, in a reasonable amount of time.

Too bad a good Stude vendor has gone down hill so badly.

Mike

Comment

This is really too bad. He USED to be a pretty good guy. 4 or 5 years ago I delt with him a few times and he "always" answered e-mails and answered the phone (I looked...lost the phone number). He did what he said he'd do, in a reasonable amount of time.

Too bad a good Stude vendor has gone down hill so badly.

Mike

Comment

I have tried to speak to someone at Steel Tech several times for my Avanti II project. I just called the number listed in the Marion, IL phonebook (I just happen to live there) and got a machine. The ads always list a P.O. Box for an address, but the address in the book is 902 W Malden St. I may try to swing by there and see the place for myself this weekend.

Jim

1966 Avanti II RQA 0088
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have tried to speak to someone at Steel Tech several times for my Avanti II project. I just called the number listed in the Marion, IL phonebook (I just happen to live there) and got a machine. The ads always list a P.O. Box for an address, but the address in the book is 902 W Malden St. I may try to swing by there and see the place for myself this weekend.

Jim

1966 Avanti II RQA 0088
                      Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't have a new SDC Roster, but neither he nor his business are listed as SDC members in my 2004 Roster. I wonder about someone that is trying to make money off Studebakers and does not belong to SDC.

He is not alone in being a vendor of Studebaker parts/services and not belonging to SDC. There are several, including at least one that posts here.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I don't have a new SDC Roster, but neither he nor his business are listed as SDC members in my 2004 Roster. I wonder about someone that is trying to make money off Studebakers and does not belong to SDC.

He is not alone in being a vendor of Studebaker parts/services and not belonging to SDC. There are several, including at least one that posts here.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I wonder how he advertises in TW then?

Joe H

Comment

I wonder how he advertises in TW then?