How to remove Avanti body from frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: How to remove Avanti body from frame

I am going to remove a 1967 Avanti body from the frame because the frame needs extensive repair. I have checked Bob Johnsons site but could not find any specifics as to frame removal. I am completely in the dark as to the pitfalls (other than the task itself) that I might find myself facing as I proceed. The engine and trans are out of the car and have been rebuilt so they are not in the way. I would appreciate any advice that you can give. Thanks in advance,
    Stude Rookie

Originally posted by Stude Rookie View Post
    I am going to remove a 1967 Avanti body from the frame because the frame needs extensive repair. I have checked Bob Johnsons site but could not find any specifics as to frame removal. I am completely in the dark as to the pitfalls (other than the task itself) that I might find myself facing as I proceed. The engine and trans are out of the car and have been rebuilt so they are not in the way. I would appreciate any advice that you can give. Thanks in advance,
    Stude Rookie
    After the body is completely unbolted from the frame and is ready to be lifted...it really depends on what equipment you have available to accomplish this lift. Are you working inside a garage?

Comment

If the frame needs that much repair and you are going to remove the body, it seems to me that the thing to do is replace the existing frame with a good one.
      Its been many years, but I seem to remember that we lifted Avanti bodies by placing padded beams through the door/window openings.
      Retain the cushion/spacers (body to frame) or at east measure each location. This will make getting the body back on correctly easier.
      Your car is one of only 41 (assuming its Serial Number falls in the 1967 range and is not something else titled as a 1967 in the past).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        After the body is completely unbolted from the frame and is ready to be lifted...it really depends on what equipment you have available to accomplish this lift. Are you working inside a garage?
        Thanks SN60. I am working in a garage with 12 ft ceilings and heavy joists and will probably use a chain hoist and lift straps.

Comment

Thanks SN60. I am working in a garage with 12 ft ceilings and heavy joists and will probably use a chain hoist and lift straps.
          That's great!....You're way ahead of the game on a job like this having facilities like that. Next thing that comes to mind is the exterior paint job on Your Avanti.....is the paint 'nice' and You need to be careful not
          to damage it....or will the car be repainted as a final step after all the frame repairs are completed?

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            If the frame needs that much repair and you are going to remove the body, it seems to me that the thing to do is replace the existing frame with a good one.
            Its been many years, but I seem to remember that we lifted Avanti bodies by placing padded beams through the door/window openings.
            Retain the cushion/spacers (body to frame) or at east measure each location. This will make getting the body back on correctly easier.
            Your car is one of only 41 (assuming its Serial Number falls in the 1967 range and is not something else titled as a 1967 in the past).
            Gary, The car is a 1967 and I have owned it for many years. No real decision has been made as to repair or exchange. It still needs to come out either way. Do I need a chassis manual for this? I am sure there are some hidden bolts that need to given consideration. I'm steering this ship blind at this time. Thanks
            Stude Rookie

Comment

SN60 the car is headed for a complete re-do, so paint and interior work are to come at a later date.
              Stude Rookie

Comment

SN60 the car is headed for a complete re-do, so paint and interior work are to come at a later date.
                Stude Rookie
                OK, on a job like this that's good! What You need to do after the body is unbolted and the steering column has been removed is to disconnect wiring between the two and push it up into the car. I'd advise drain off the
                gas tank, and strip out the interior as much as practical. (idea being to lighten body) remove front and rear bumpers and brackets (at frame) Studebaker and Avanti Motors lifted these bodies under the fender arches,
                but another way to do this is to raise the body a foot or so, then remove the wheels and LOWER chassis down to the floor onto dolies, or just drag it out from under the body. Attaching a secondary lift to the top of the
                radiator core support is a way to take the strain off the fiberglass 'nose', which hangs 'way out there'.

Comment

Stude Rookie

Compliments of Myers Studebaker. http://www.myersstudebaker.com/faq.htm#q4 It's for 63/64 but not much different.

The lifting part needs care as the front fenders are part of the body, as you well know, so be sure not to put much pressure on them.

Just a thought though, Google remains our friend.

Bob

Comment

To: Stude Rookie,----PS...I'll be doing this same job on a '73 Avanti II in the spring....but unfortunately, I'll be working outside under wooden "A" frames!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      Stude Rookie

Compliments of Myers Studebaker. http://www.myersstudebaker.com/faq.htm#q4 It's for 63/64 but not much different.

The lifting part needs care as the front fenders are part of the body, as you well know, so be sure not to put much pressure on them.

Just a thought though, Google remains our friend.

Bob
                      sweetolbob thanks for the Meyers Studebaker info. That's the kind of stuff that will help keep me out of trouble or get me in deeper. I knew that I could count on you all for the best information .
                      Stude Rookie

Comment

Anyone have an idea about what the body, less interior, might weigh?
                        Stude Rookie

Comment

There is more than one philosophy on whether to paint the body on or off the frame. When my Avanti was being done I figured the best way to paint it was off the frame. The shop that did the car stripped the old (several colors) of paint to the bare fiberglass, then gel coated and primed the body off the car. The color and clear coats were done with the body back on the frame.

i asked the shop manager why as it seemed to me painting the body off the frame would be the better way to go. His shop has years of experience restoring Corvettes and he preferred to have it done body on. He feels if the body is painted off the frame there's a chance the paint can crack from body flex when lowered and bolted down onto the frame.

I can't argue with what he said as the quality of their work was superlative. Among the many compliments I get on the car the most are on the quality of the paint and bodywork.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Anyone have an idea about what the body, less interior, might weigh?
                            Stude Rookie
                            I believe just under 600 lbs. (stripped)

Comment

I paint the body off the frame. There isn't enough flexing to crack the paint. This keeps overspray off the frame too. My body dolly supports the hog troughs and the front body mounts, and the inner rear wheel housings, and across the body in front of the spare tire well. I designed it that way. I paint the doors off too, so there is no jamb paint line .
                              I think it's all in the way the body is supported and handled, and to a great part the experience of the shop. I would never be keen on any shop using my car as a learning experience.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X