Studebaker stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker stock

I got to thinking about the stock certificates for Studebaker or Studebaker-Packard that come up for sale all the time. I assume that the stock value is gone, but how does that happen? If Studebaker was absorbed by another company in the 1970s, was each person supposed to turn in their stock certificated for new ones issued by the new company? That doesn't seem fair, because there are always people that just put their stock away and don't really follow it for years. Are the stock certificates the actual stock or something else?

Logically, it seems to me that Studebaker stock certificates should still have value as stock as long as the company assets were forwarded to the next holder of the corporation. How does a person with 10,000 shares of Studebaker stock in 1965 end up with nothing after all these years, even if he has the proof of stock ownership? If the corporation is now owned by a living organization, doesn't the stock value continue?

Were the newer companies that held Studebaker obligated to issue new stock certificates in place of the Studebaker stock, thus simply rendering the old stock certificates as obsolete?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

I'd ask my broker, but after the market moves of the past few days I see he's out on his ledge threatening to jump.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I'd ask my broker, but after the market moves of the past few days I see he's out on his ledge threatening to jump.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Don't worry about your broker. If he jumps he will probably land on the pile of those who have already taken the plunge.

Comment

Don't worry about your broker. If he jumps he will probably land on the pile of those who have already taken the plunge.

Comment

I went through this question a few years back with some shares of US Life. As long as the certificate is not cancelled (hole-punched or in some other way indicated that it has been redeemed), it can be traded for shares of the new company at whatever rate they choose.

After it's been punched, it's birdcage liner.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I went through this question a few years back with some shares of US Life. As long as the certificate is not cancelled (hole-punched or in some other way indicated that it has been redeemed), it can be traded for shares of the new company at whatever rate they choose.

After it's been punched, it's birdcage liner.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Don't worry about him; if he's any good he'll know that this is no reason to get bothered, just a bump in the road; no action needed but to stay put, as it will recover again.

If he doesn't know that, let him jump! You'll be better off with someone more experienced anyway!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Don't worry about him; if he's any good he'll know that this is no reason to get bothered, just a bump in the road; no action needed but to stay put, as it will recover again.

If he doesn't know that, let him jump! You'll be better off with someone more experienced anyway!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I own many shares of Studebaker stock. This includes what I bought in the 1960s and is issued in my name. These shares have never been punched or voided, but I do believe that the only value is collector value. We also bought Rolls Royce stock in the 1960s. After Rolls Royce split up, new stock was issued for the parts and I believe that the original shares only have collector value. Some corporations that have direct lineage do swap your old company stocks with new shares. I had this happen when Atlantic Richfield went to BP, Warner-Lambert went to Phizer, etc.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I own many shares of Studebaker stock. This includes what I bought in the 1960s and is issued in my name. These shares have never been punched or voided, but I do believe that the only value is collector value. We also bought Rolls Royce stock in the 1960s. After Rolls Royce split up, new stock was issued for the parts and I believe that the original shares only have collector value. Some corporations that have direct lineage do swap your old company stocks with new shares. I had this happen when Atlantic Richfield went to BP, Warner-Lambert went to Phizer, etc.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X