Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limited production 1961 Hawk NO.0667. Need your help identifying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited production 1961 Hawk NO.0667. Need your help identifying.

The brass engraved plate adhered to the outside of the glove box door reads: Limited Production 1961 Hawk NO.0667 By Studebaker Quality Built For R.N.Eubanks .This is a 1961 Sudebaker Hawk 259 V8, 4 barrel,4 speed. I have no other info on this car.Would appreciate the forums extensive knowledge and all info you could tell me about my Hawk. Bought it for a parts car,but am waiting to here from you guys on it. Thanks Mike..

Originally posted by hawk58man View Post
    The brass engraved plate adhered to the outside of the glove box door reads: Limited Production 1961 Hawk NO.0667 By Studebaker Quality Built For R.N.Eubanks .This is a 1961 Sudebaker Hawk 259 V8, 4 barrel,4 speed. I have no other info on this car.Would appreciate the forums extensive knowledge and all info you could tell me about my Hawk. Bought it for a parts car,but am waiting to here from you guys on it. Thanks Mike..
    Should be a 289CI....some 4 speed cars had that 1st owners engraved plate.

Comment

In 1961 most folks that bought Hawks got a card they could mail in requesting such a customized dash plaque. I bought mine from the original owner and he did not return his card.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

All 4 Speed '61 Hawks were considered "Limited Production", advertized in Magazines as "GT Hawks" but never officially named or labeled as such. They all had the option of a Dash Plaque, not really THAT special.

It is a desirable Car though, if it were restorable and had it's original "P" coded Serial # 289 Engine.

UPDATED to remove "4 Speed".
        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-09-2013, 05:06 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Make that 'All Hawks".
          The dash plaque was offered to all dealers to help sell the '61 Hawks.
          Transmissions were irrelevant.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          All 4 Speed '61 Hawks were considered "Limited Production", advertized in Magazines as "GT Hawks" but never officially named or labeled as such. They all had the option of a Dash Plaque, not really THAT special.

It is a desirable Car though, if it were restorable and had it's original "P" coded Serial # 289 Engine.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SL.S214.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1678962

Limited to only 6100 units? They wished!
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Especially since they only built about 2700 Hawks... (IIRC)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Make that 'All Hawks".
                OK, I stand corrected, "ALL" '61 Hawks were available with a dash Plaque.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  Make that 'All Hawks".
                  INCORRECT! The 1961 Studebaker Hawks that were factory equipped with the Borg Warner T-10 four speed transmission were considered by Studebaker to be something very special....'select' one might say.
                  And the people that bought them were car enthusiasts, that really appreciated a touch like a personalized dash plaque. And that is why when these items show up, they're USUALLY found on the four speed Hawks!
                  To say that the choice of transmission was 'irrelevant' is simply wrong!!

Comment

Funny...my mother bought a new '61 Hawk with a Flightomatic and she got the dash plaque. The dealer ordered it for her as part of the package. Let's see...what is another word for irrelevant that means the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                      Funny...my mother bought a new '61 Hawk with a Flightomatic and she got the dash plaque. The dealer ordered it for her as part of the package. Let's see...what is another word for irrelevant that means the same thing?
                      OOOOO....OOOOO.......OOOOOO I know......NO, I better not.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have never seen one on a 61 hawk but then I never had one with a 4 speed, seen lots on the 62's even had some of the forms that you sent in to get one.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                          In a post regarding Paul Gunder a few years ago, Richard Quinn stated:
                          Paul had a letter from Studebaker written in May 1963 attesting to the gran turismo name and stating that only 346 dash plates were made to personalize the special 4-speed cars.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I own a plain Jane '61 Hawk. 289, 2bbl, A/T, radio, tach delete, a/m radio, T/T.
                            It was ordered, and not bought off the dealer lot.

Dash Plaque# 0911

Jeff

Comment

Nope. Your 'INCORRECT' statement is not correct.
                              Anyone could get the dash plaque for their '61 Hawk if they had their dealer order it.
                              The style of transmission did not make a difference in a buyer getting a dash plaque.
                              My statement of fact about transmission and plaques stands.
                              I own an example, and have researched this as far back as 1969.
                              (and started the grubby lil' finger induced tarnish process on plaque#0911 on day one in 1961)

As an interesting side note....
                              If you ordered your '61 Hawk, you also got a typed signed letter from the Studebaker V.P. of sales in South Bend thanking you for ordering your Hawk.
                              Jeff

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              INCORRECT! The 1961 Studebaker Hawks that were factory equipped with the Borg Warner T-10 four speed transmission were considered by Studebaker to be something very special....'select' one might say.
                              And the people that bought them were car enthusiasts, that really appreciated a touch like a personalized dash plaque. And that is why when these items show up, they're USUALLY found on the four speed Hawks!
                              To say that the choice of transmission was 'irrelevant' is simply wrong!!
                              Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 02-10-2013, 04:31 AM.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X