Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4BBL Carburetor Questions. Help Me identify these carbs Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 4BBL Carburetor Questions. Help Me identify these carbs Please!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03040.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1738011Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03044.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1738012Just wondering if anyOne can identify this carb and will it work with a 62 GT V8 Hawk.
    Patrick Sammon

While it is a WCFB carburator as used on Studebakers 1955-62 it is hard to determine the application. This is determined by the numbers on the brass tag ususally attached to one of the screws. This tag seems to be missing. A picture of the trottle linkage hookup might help identify it. The numbers you show are just patent numbers I believe.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

And many other brand engines..

Mike

Comment

Accordingly to the parts manual, the following carbs were used on 62V:
        WCFB-2829S-4 (STD & OD, no PCV)
        WCFB-2830S-4 (AD, no PCV)
        WCFB-3165S-4 (STD & OD, PCV)
        WCFB-3166S-4 (AD, PCV)
        WCFB-3422S-4 (STD & OD, no PCV)
        WCFB-3423S-4 (AD, no PCV)
        WCFB-3419S-4 (STD & OD, PCV)
        WCFB-3420S-4 (AD, PCV)
        You should find one of these numbers stamped somewhere (on the manifold flange usually).
        Best of luck.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
          Accordingly to the parts manual, the following carbs were used on 62V:
          WCFB-2829S-4 (STD & OD, no PCV)
          WCFB-2830S-4 (AD, no PCV)
          WCFB-3165S-4 (STD & OD, PCV)
          WCFB-3166S-4 (AD, PCV)
          WCFB-3422S-4 (STD & OD, no PCV)
          WCFB-3423S-4 (AD, no PCV)
          WCFB-3419S-4 (STD & OD, PCV)
          WCFB-3420S-4 (AD, PCV)
          You should find one of these numbers stamped somewhere (on the manifold flange usually).
          Best of luck.
          I don't believe that the WCFB's had stamped model #'s like the later AFB's did.....it was all on that missing brass tag!

Comment

If the mounting pattern is the same and the linkage will hook up, It should work. Depending on the CI of the orignal application it may need to be re-jetted.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Interesting. I have a beautiful WCFB which seems to work great on my 57 Hawk (Auto) but I modified it from the downdraft tube to PCV. I'm wondering what modification or the difference to the carb should be for those with PCV.. My guess an allowance for more manifold vacuum but don't know..

Comment

Yes, the additional air passed by the PVC coming in under the throttle blades will change the idle. Some WCFBs have enough air idle screw adjustment to work with some PVCs. It depends upon how much air your PVC valve passes at idle and how good your carb is.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I've got one that won't idle..... and I have to keep the choke nearly closed to force it to run....

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                    I've got one that won't idle..... and I have to keep the choke nearly closed to force it to run....
                    Could the PCV be in backwards or missing? It's passing way too much air. Block off the PVC hose and get back to us with how the idle changes.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X