mix and match 62 GT with 53 C/K and add a Jag part or 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mix and match 62 GT with 53 C/K and add a Jag part or 2

Yesterday Pat (nibbs53) and I went about 150 miles one way to pick up a sight unseen car, was told it was a 55 hardtop with a 53 C/K front end when we got there it turned out to be a rather rust free 62 GT with the 53 C/k front section installed on the original GT fenders, the hood is there also but needs major work as does the grille surrounds but they are there, one can not repair something if they don't have. there is no engine or transmission and the rear end is from a Jag. the front suspension is also from the Jag I was told. there is some boxes of parts in the car that I will go through today but the car will be parted out, the rear fenders are going on my grandsons GT, might even change out the fronts if they are better than his . His each have some rust out starting at the rear lower corner. the trunk is a 53 but a tree had fallen on it so it needs work also. the body shell and trunk look to be rather nice but will know more after today, any one interested in parts from the car let me know. Here is a few pictures from yesterday.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Isn't it amazing what is out there?

Comment

Interesting find be sure to post more pictures of that suspension install. And it is just amazing the stuff you find.

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
        Interesting find be sure to post more pictures of that suspension install. And it is just amazing the stuff you find.
        Steve when you have been doing this as long as I have things like this find me, just last night I got an e-mail about 2 "M" series trucks and a 52 commander 4 door car, cheap and maybe free but passed on it as I am out of room for more junkers, even thou there is money to be made with all 3 the fenders looked good on the M's but not for me .
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

I'm just glad you learned how to post pictures, Bob. Up here in the snow we love to watch the California guys find the treasures.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

With out seeing it my guess is front and rear suspension out of a xj-6. They make a nice easy clean swap on most older frames. Post a picture. I'am sure someone not into stock will have a use for it. Hardest part is clearing motors and headers with steering.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              With out seeing it my guess is front and rear suspension out of a xj-6. They make a nice easy clean swap on most older frames. Post a picture. I'am sure someone not into stock will have a use for it. Hardest part is clearing motors and headers with steering.
              Spent some time today cleaning it out for a few pictures, and removed the 53 pieces, they are for sale if any one is interested, there is the 3 pieces of sheet metal that hold the front end together and both grille surrounds they are pitted and a few cracks but better than nothing if needed or good to work on and paint I am sure a good platter can save them for the money. the body shell is rather rust free and the trunk weather strip area is super nice. here is a few pictures of the rack and pinion and front set up I did not take any of the rear end yet.

Also the car has swinging peddles and power booster on the fire wall.

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Bob, you remind me of Lester Schmidt before, down in ElCajon, CA. Over the years, he had amassed a couple of large fields full of Studes from all over SoCal. He'd then disassemble most of them, and store the parts for resale. He used to make about 4 trips per year back to the east coast with California sheet metal and other neat stuff, always transported in his 1957-58 Transtar pickup, with 5th wheel and trailer.
                He also had a Studebaker pick-a-part junk yard in a large field. I still run the 3.54, TT rear end in the GT, that I removed from a 64GT Super Hawk in that field. I had to cut the tabs off for the traction bars, but it continues to work just fine after way over 250,000 miles.

Comment

Wonderful XJ53GT. Thanks for the suspension pictures. Could you take a couple from the bottom side?
                  My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                  sigpic
                  Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                  in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Front mount looks strange as the brackets for the front mounts dont seem to be there and how did they mount the shocks as the xj's had a tall bracket to mount upper shock that came off the frame to upper control arm. Still all in all the body looks good and with some work would be a sleeper with a 383 strocker or a streetable big block chev in it.
                    Last edited by swvalcon; 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM.

Comment

After I get the fenders off and can get better pictures I will post them also some for the under side, I have more of the floor and trunk area but don't want to fill the whole post with them at once, i will slip some in each time, these are of the trunk area. the first 3 are the trunk weather strip area no rust out.

next the trunk floor very very minor holes there had to see in pictures.

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Looks to me that all the bottom of this car needs is sandblasting and maybe a very small patch or two some epoxy primer and its ready for paint. Man I wish my hawk was that easy. You dont even need to know much about bodywork for this one.

Comment

Any idea if the car ever ran again after being pulled apart for the suspension mods?

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

I hate to see multiple U-joints on a steering shaft.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              I hate to see multiple U-joints on a steering shaft.
                              X2 - very bad science. Kids, don't try this at home!

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X