Sweetest '59 Lark you'll ever see is on the market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetest '59 Lark you'll ever see is on the market

A few years back Forum member Ron Butts (31Streetrod) built up a '59 two-door into the nicest Studebaker-powered custom you'll likely ever see. He built it primarily for his wife, but since her back surgery it's hard for her to drive with the four-speed and heavy clutch.
    He started with a pristine, never rusted two-door, yanked the six, built up everything to handle it and put in an "enhanced" 289, T-10, Hawk buckets, custom gauges and much more. It now has only about 500 more miles it since he finished it.
    It was discussed in this thread- http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...om-59-Lark-pix Unfortunately I deleted the folder of pictures from my web space so they don't show now. I will try to find them and re-post them. Ron is looking for a "reasonable offer" at this point (but be prepared to lay out serious cash as it is way worth it). Contact Ron by PM at his Forum handle. Below is one picture I do have- shows the '59 and his '31 streetrod.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Nice Lark. Too bad he doesn't just convert it to a beefed up automatic so the wife can still drive it comfortably.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Very nice '59, is that Black Cherry or just Black?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's a sweet little car. Ron needs to post up more pics before he sells it. If I had any money, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

"Serious cash" is very subjective. What is serious cash to Ron?

Comment

I saw a similar one maybe 7 or 8 years ago at York, but IIRC it had a supercharger on it.
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by gs-xnr View Post
              "Serious cash" is very subjective. What is serious cash to Ron?
              Poor choice of words on my part. Ron has a lot of money and sweat equity in the car, but he's not looking to make a killing on it. I have no idea what he wants for it. PM him directly.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

These are some photos I saved as Ron's is one nice 59.

Comment

This is one of the Larks I have saved pictures of on my computer. Super detailing and just about perfect to me. Too bad I don't have the $ to make an offer that wouldn't be an insult.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Very nice looking car....well done. Only thing I don't lie is the look of the tail pipes.
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

For those that are interested, I'm posting the details of the driveline, suspension, brakes, fuel and exhaust systems build up for my 59 Lark. For serious inquiries, email me at ronnjanie at comcast dot net

Engine: non-full flow 289 bored .060 over, flattop hypereutectic pistons, R2+ cam, ARP rod, main and head bolts, rods resized, aluminum cam gear, new oil pump, new pressure relief valve, crank turned .010 on rod & .010 on main journals, neoprene lip seal installed in timing cover, engine balanced, stainless valves, R3 valve springs, 55 cc heads, heavy duty water pump, R3 headers, flywheel was diamond stone faced, new pilot bearing, 10 1/2" clutch, pressure plate and release bearing. All clutch arm and shaft assemblies were welded to prevent slippage out of index. Rebuilt starter and new one wire alternator. Dave T-Bow rebuilt and re-curved distributor with pertronix ignitor. Note: all engine parts were purchased from Ted Harbit at time of rebuild.

Transmission: completely rebuilt early 62 chevy bolt pattern wide ratio T10 4 speed with a Hurst competition plus shifter.

Drive shaft: Balanced 3 inch diameter drive shaft with new u-joints. Drive shaft loop installed.

Differential: Dana 44, 3:54 ratio, TT with flanged axle conversion and new seals.

Fuel System: New fuel lines, rubber hose, mechanical fuel pump with electric fuel pump for prime with momentary switch. New fuel tank.

Front Suspension: new upper and lower inner bushings. new upper and lower outer pins and bushings, new king pin rebuild kits. New wheel bearings and seals. 63 stabilizer bar, bushings and supports. 63 Saginaw manual steering box. New reach rod. New bearings in center bellcrank. New V8 springs and shock absorbers. New rebound bumpers. All grade 8 hardware used.

Rear Suspension: NOS police / taxi 6 ply rear springs. New frame bushings. New U-bolts. Rear stabilizer bar. New shock absorbers. NOS Traction Master traction bars. All grade 8 hardware used.

Brake System: Converted to V8 brakes with finned drums front and rear. All new master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, brake lines and flex hoses.

Exhaust System: 2 1/4 dual exhaust with Don Simmons' exhaust pipes and tail pipes with Flo-Master mufflers.
                      Last edited by 31Streetrod; 02-06-2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I don't have access to it now, but wasn't this car on eBay recently?
                        If so- many more pics could be found there if the ad isn't too old.

I dugg it then, and digg it now.
                        Nice ride!!!

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

This car has never been on ebay.

Comment

Hey Ron, could you please post some pics of this great car. It really is one of my favorites...
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                              Hey Ron, could you please post some pics of this great car. It really is one of my favorites...
                              For those who didn't want to open Skybolt's Picasaweb post (#8), I copied my copies of the pictures back to my web space. These pictures aren't new, but I guarentee you they are as good today as they were when I took them.

Comment

Working...
                              X