Generator or Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator or Alternator

OK Guys help me out please. My 63 GT Hawk came without a charging device. What are the tells to know if it came with one or the other? I think I understand that it could have been either in 63...right? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jim

I thought all '63s came with alternators, but I've been wrong once or twice.....
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

You may be right as rain Raoul. I have a 62 that has a generator. Just wanting to figure out if I can/should use the generator or if I need or should oot for an alternator. Figured I would get the gurus who linger here to share some knowlege. Thanks for chiming in.
      Jim

Comment

All 63 models had alternators, I would put an alternator back on it.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

All 1963 Larks and Hawks came with an alternator, in your case it would have been a 35 amp Prestolite. They aren't hard to find, also their is one used on a late 70's Honda (the exact model escapes me) that makes a great replacement.

Joe
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

If replacing with a Honda Nippondenso alternator, be aware that many Honda alternators used a counter-clockwise cooling fan. The Lester number for this alternator is 14540, and it is also used on various early 1970's Toyotas. Toyotas (and Studebakers) use a clockwise cooling fan. If you are buying a rebuilt 14540, it may come with a CCW or a CW fan, or no fan at all. The instructions are to transfer the pulley and fan as needed. I researched this a couple of years ago for my '63 Cruiser, but it was easier for me to have a Prestolite rebuilt for it. (Of course, I have a whole box of Prestolite cores, so that made the decision easy.)

I should mention that CW or CCW means looking at the front pulley, and the cooling fan pulls air through the alternator from the rear - it does not push air from the front.

Comment

I have been running the 'Honda' alternator for several years now....Autozone...$50 or so.
              Visit Bob Johnsons site for details.
              Bill Foy
              1000 Islands, Ontario
              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

OK that makes sense. Knew I went to the right place. Thanks
                Jim

Comment

Working...
                X