Brad penn oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad penn oil

Anyone interested in Brad Penn oil? I can bring a limited amount to the York sway meet. $6 per qt in case lots. Call me at 937-878-1576

Phil ....is there something special about that oil
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I was told by a rep I ran into at Barrett Jackson the other day that their oil used to be known as the Kendall brand. It is formulated with enough zinc for our collector cars, according to this representative. They may have a website to check for more information Bob.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Yes, Bob; what Frank said.

At $6 per quart, I don't know of a lower-priced oil with enough ZDDP in it for our older, flat-tappet valve trains.

That's a good buy on a good oil. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I do use Kendall Racing oil , it has ZDDP in it . This may be the same oil but but I may have to try Phill's oil .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

You do have to remember that the "New" Kendall Oil" is just a label of the larger Oil Co. that bought them out, I can't remember who, maybe Exxon(It's Conico Phillips) . That Oil is just Oil.

So the Brad Penn is the ORIGINAL, real Kendall Oil refinery and Penn. wells of one of the best Oil Co's. ever, this is the part they did NOT buy.
            As long as it is in limited amounts and labeled as "Collector Car Oil" I guess they can still use the Original formula with ZDDP before the EPA ruined it.

This stuff is the real deal! I keep a few cases here.

UPDATE: 11:42 PM 2/5/13 in Maroon.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Question

What is the best and correct oil to use in the 1956 golden hawk thanks in advance

Comment

It would be the same as ALL flat tappet (non-roller lifter, non-roller cam) Engines of all sizes and Mfg's.
                Brad Penn in the weight appropriate
                for the TEMPERTURES it will encounter. A 10/30 Oil is good for most Climates.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks i used to live in bellingham and fished lake terrel in ferndale a million times

Comment

I think that is the oil my engine rebuilder uses for all their engine builds. I have couple of extra qts in the trunk of my Avanti, but Its stored at a location away from where I currently am.

I just checked the Penn website and Brad Penn is the oil I'm using in the '76 Avanti. The engine builder swears by it, using it in all the engine builds from stock, warmed up and even in the 1000-1500 hp builds. My 400 motor likes it. 10,000 since the rebuild and its using no oil.
                    Last edited by plwindish; 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Bob Palma, Do you know if this is the oil that Jim Pepper showed us at the Intl. meet last summer? I've got an E-mail out to Jim about it, but haven't heard back from him yet. Maybe you can shed some light on the question, thanks, Bill Van Alstyne.

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
                        Bob Palma, Do you know if this is the oil that Jim Pepper showed us at the Intl. meet last summer? I've got an E-mail out to Jim about it, but haven't heard back from him yet. Maybe you can shed some light on the question, thanks, Bill Van Alstyne.
                        Yes, Bill; I'm pretty sure it is, now that you mention it.

If you sent Jim an e-mail, he will respond. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

so...from a CASO point of view: a qt of good 10W-30 oil goes for $3.50 hereabouts....and a bottle of ZDDP is $10. Thats 6 x $3.50 = $21. and the $10 makes it $31. for an oil change. The Brad Penn is $6. per qt and @ 6 qts gives you an oil change of $36. If you have shipping for the bottled ZDDP it doesn't matter much. Is Brad Penn @ any FLAPS ?? And a step further.....if your engine drops oil (tell me one that doesn't-and if you do I've got a bridge built over swamp I can sell you ), you're at $3.50 vs. $6. per lost/burned qt. Where's the advantage especially if I have to ship the Brad Penn ??

Comment

jackb,

I could save a good chunk of cash every month by not buying insurance. I keep doing it. A $5 difference (by your math) in the cost of an oil change isn't that much of a difference. Depending on the frequency of your oil changes, you might spend upwards of 15 or 20 bucks more a year on that added cost at oil change. How does that compare to last month's insurance payment? Sure, if you have a fleet that adds up fast, but I'm trying to think practically here. I have one running Stude, so for me the annual cost is barely above what I'd already pay.

Plus, you get a purpose-built oil that went through the entire refinery process with the intent of being suited for our engines, as opposed to a generic oil built for modern cars that you add a supplement to later.

Lastly, they might not have it at any local flaps, but according to their website (http://www.penngrade1.com/) they have locations across the nation selling their stuff, so you might not get it at NAPA, but there may still be a dealer in your town. (Or you can buy it from our thread starter). Plus, is it really a good justification for Studebaker owners to argue that they can't find something at their flaps? The most well stocked NAPA in our town doesn't have half the parts I want most of the time, and one of the guys there is a Stude fan. If I can't get something from our local vendors, I wind up ordering it, and paying shipping.

I'm not saying you can't do it one way or the other. Heck, last time I changed my oil I used oil off the shelf at the store. But I might go this route next time. It seems like cheap insurance to me.
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

@jackb and JimC- both of your points are well taken. I think I would give this oil a try.After all I might do 2 oil changes a year on the Daytona TOPS.(Driven about 5,000 miles a year.)While I'm spending big-time money on an oil filter (K&N,about $10 at my FLAPS; this wasn't figured into your equation),I may as well give this big-time oil a try.I've heard nothing but good things about it, so what the hey!There is a "speed shop" on the other side of town who sells this stuff, but if I can pick some up at York I'd surely do it.Like the man at the deli said,"Couldn't hoit!"

Comment

Working...
                              X