Vancouver Branch of the Studebaker Corporation of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver Branch of the Studebaker Corporation of Canada

Maybe some of you have seen these pictures before, but they were new to me.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

re
    Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    Maybe some of you have seen these pictures before, but they were new to me.

These are neat Joe. Any chance there was an address reference anywhere for the location?
    Stu Chapman

Comment

I posted a few links to old archival photos here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=glenbow

Vancouver has updated their links since that last post, it seems... http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/;...ery=studebaker

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 02-04-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Craig, thanks for the links. Stu according to what is in the second link that Craig has provided the dealership/service center was on Georgia Street.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

The dealership was at 1233 W. Georgia.

There is something unusual about both of those pictures. What is it?

Also noticeable in CVA 99-5098.

Terry
          Last edited by dictator27; 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            Craig, thanks for the links. Stu according to what is in the second link that Craig has provided the dealership/service center was on Georgia Street.
            Thanks..the last Western Region office for Studebaker was on Marine Drive as I recall. I don't remember the number. The Regional Manager was E.M. "Mac" Howell.
            Stu Chapman

Comment

The cars appear to be RHD. I wonder if they were heading to Australia?

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                Were not most U.S production up to 1914 assembled in RHC?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                MELBOURNE.

Comment

My favorite is this one from that collection of Stude photos: http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/u...aaa-A17684.jpg

Craig

Comment

Great photo! They appear to be LHD.
                    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    My favorite is this one from that collection of Stude photos: http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/u...aaa-A17684.jpg

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                      Until 1920 motorists in British Columbia drove on the left side of the road, regardless of where the steering wheel was. The change to the right side of the road wasn't completed until 1922 which must have created some interesting situations at times.

Terry

Comment

Craig, that picture of the the two trucks is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for posting it.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                          Thanks..the last Western Region office for Studebaker was on Marine Drive as I recall. I don't remember the number. The Regional Manager was E.M. "Mac" Howell.
                          Stu Chapman
                          Stu, the WRO was at 1098 SW Marine in South Vancouver. Later used by Chrysler. I haven't been past it for some time, but the building was empty then. I have heard rumors that it was slated for demolition probably a couple of years ago.

Many years ago - the middle 1970's - I owned a 56 Transtar pickup. I was getting off a ferry at Horseshoe Bay one day when a man approached me and asked where the the truck had come from(California). He said he had been the last western regional manager for Studebaker of Canada and that trucks were not sold in British Columbia after WW2. The conversation lasted no more than 30 seconds because vehicles were leaving the ferry and I didn't get his name, something I've always regretted. That had to be E. M. "Mac" Howell, so thank you for answering that question.

There is something else curious about the photos. The Studebaker of Canada address is 1233 W. Georgia. If you look at the photos in the list of the Willis Kingsley Studebaker dealership, the address is 1190 W.Georgia. There is about seven years between the two photos. Was Studebaker of Canada still there? If so, there were two Studebaker dealers basically right across the street from each other on opposite sides of the intersection with Bute Street!

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                            There is something else curious about the photos. The Studebaker of Canada address is 1233 W. Georgia. If you look at the photos in the list of the Willis Kingsley Studebaker dealership, the address is 1190 W.Georgia. There is about seven years between the two photos. Was Studebaker of Canada still there? If so, there were two Studebaker dealers basically right across the street from each other on opposite sides of the intersection with Bute Street!
                            Unusual? Hardly! The WRO was never a sales outlet. Here in Calgary, GM's Zone Office is on the corner of Blackfoot & 42 Avenue, while Shaw Buick-GMC is a few blocks south on 46th Avenue.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                              Were not most U.S production up to 1914 assembled in RHC?
                              I think that it was partly because of Henry Ford's Model T which was left hand drive, (except for export, through Canada)that led to standardizing left hand drive cars in the U.S.A. I have seen mid teen Packards with right hand drive and they were made for the U.S. market.
                              sigpic
                              55 President Deluxe
                              64 Commander
                              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                              X