PDA

View Full Version : Sad 62 Daytona Convert Parts Car On Ebay

Bordeaux Daytona
02-03-2013, 12:36 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-62-STUDEBAKER-LARK-DAYTONA-CONVERTIBLE-PARTS-CAR-60-61-63-64-V8-289-HAWK-/160935096662?pt=Salvage_Parts_Cars&hash=item25787ab156&vxp=mtr

Warren Webb
02-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Wish it was closer to me for parts but not at that price.

JRoberts
02-03-2013, 02:04 PM
It seems a little pricey, doesn't it?

BobPalma
02-03-2013, 02:20 PM
It seems a little pricey, doesn't it?

They'll probably figure that out in due time, Joe...:o BP

LarkTruck
02-03-2013, 03:09 PM
SAD, looks like it was probably not a bad ride when it was parked there. :-(
JS

rknight89
02-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Looks like it might be in a small salvage yard. The way the description reads, getting parts from it could be an option. Can't be more than 2 hours from me. I might make the call & go take a look. Finishing up my '61 convertible and could always use a few of the hard to find convertible only parts. IF I go, I'll post a message a few days before so if anyone wants me to do some recon and report back I will.

plwindish
02-03-2013, 06:55 PM
How much is rust per pound these days? 2 grand for that car is kind of like paying $6 - $7 per gallon for gas.

Bordeaux Daytona
02-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Looks like it might be in a small salvage yard. The way the description reads, getting parts from it could be an option. Can't be more than 2 hours from me. I might make the call & go take a look. Finishing up my '61 convertible and could always use a few of the hard to find convertible only parts. IF I go, I'll post a message a few days before so if anyone wants me to do some recon and report back I will.

That's how I interpreted it too. Yeah, let us know what you find on it.
It does have a make an offer button to click on so who knows what they'd take. 289 4 bbl? That one picture you can really see the ground.
It still has the chrome trim around the back top that people are always looking for. Maybe it was the car from that "My Three Sons" episode that someone found recently but this one has a column shift.

Warren Webb
02-03-2013, 08:20 PM
289 4 bbl? That one picture you can really see the ground.
It still has the chrome trim around the back top that people are always looking for.

As far as the "column shift" its an automatic. Your absolutly right though about the belt mouldings. It would be nice for someone if they could get these or have one to take them to a casting foundry, have molds made & cast them in bronze. They would then be easy to have chrome plated. I for one need the left side on my 62 & if I'm not mistaken, these are the same from 62 to 64.

qsanford
02-03-2013, 09:09 PM
But it is a 1962 Blaze Red Daytona Convertible! Now if someone had a 1962 Blaze Red Daytona hardtop and wanted a matching pair... <G>

swvalcon
02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I've seen this on craigs list before. If it wasn't so much money I would look at it to build a convert. from a hard top.

Dougie
02-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Are the fresh air intakes above the headlights a rare option??

Starlight
02-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Are the fresh air intakes above the headlights a rare option??

LOL...Dougie, those are for keeping the brakes cool under hard braking.......Keep on Studebakering

JimC
02-04-2013, 07:46 AM
I was really interested until I saw that the radiator cap was missing. I have too much on my plate right now to deal with an incomplete car. :D

How much is rust per pound these days? 2 grand for that car is kind of like paying $6 - $7 per gallon for gas.

I disagree with that statement. If you paid $7 per gallon for gasoline, you would still have gasoline, something which is useful. There just doesn't appear to be a whole lot on this car that could be saved. The engine was left exposed to the elements, every fender is rusted through. I suppose there are a few parts which could serve some purpose, but for the asking price listed you could probably get what you need from SI, and then they'd be repop or NOS, and you wouldn't need to pry them off an old car and/or refinish them.

plwindish
02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Didn't notice if the battery tie-down clamp was there or not. I love the added cooling vents in the tops of the fenders.

rknight89
02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Well...I called the guy about the car. Basically what he told me was "If somebody wants to give me $2000 for the car, they can haul it off or go there & remove whatever they want. If nobody gives me $2000 it's going to the shredder." I inquired about a couple parts I might be interested in and he told me "I don't want to screw with it...Somebody better make it worth my while to walk out to that car to take anything off it." I mentioned that the little spring on my glove box hinge that helps it open was broken. He said "Car's been sitting there a long time. I'm sure its no good!" I gave him my phone number & told him when he's on his way to the shredder ('cause he ain't getting $2K) to give me a call & I'd still make him an offer on the few parst I'd like. He hung up. I'll bet nobody gets any parts & I HOPE nobody makes it 'worth his while'. All in all, a pleasant conversation :-( Excuse the sarcasm.

rknight89
02-05-2013, 05:34 PM
By the way, the holes above the headlights are the skylights for the raccoons & possums. The have to live under the fenders now since they kept falling through the floorboards. Do you suppose a little upholstery dye would clean up those seats?

Corvanti
02-05-2013, 07:22 PM
very strange the seller would say all that, given he has a 100% feedback rating with at least 745 positive (and one neutral) ratings just as a seller. has 7450 total as buyer & seller. coincidence that there's an extra zero on there for the total, i'm sure...(?)
maybe he got tired of "us" CASO's calling since this thread appeared - wanting a part or two! :rolleyes: (i'm kidding, i think).

i've never purchased anything from him, don't know him, don't need anything from him, and with that price on rust, probably never will.

qsanford
02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
I was really interested until I saw that the radiator cap was missing. I have too much on my plate right now to deal with an incomplete car. :D

The only thing you can't buy new is a serial number and a body number and maybe a matching engine number. It might be worth it to someone who wants a 1962 Blaze convertible with a 289 and automatic.

I disagree with that statement. If you paid $7 per gallon for gasoline, you would still have gasoline, something which is useful. There just doesn't appear to be a whole lot on this car that could be saved. The engine was left exposed to the elements, every fender is rusted through. I suppose there are a few parts which could serve some purpose, but for the asking price listed you could probably get what you need from SI, and then they'd be repop or NOS, and you wouldn't need to pry them off an old car and/or refinish them.

The things you can't buy new are a serial number, body number and maybe matching engine number. It might be worth it to someone who wants a Blaze red 1962 Daytona convertible with a 289 automatic.

Jessie J.
02-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Sad one for me. The exact model I've lusted for for decades, got a barn full of parts, including all 4 fenders and doors, even have a very solid '62 sedan that I could cannabalize.
Too much, too far, too poor, too old, too tired, too many more pressing obligations. Ten years ago no problem.
Today. if I had it, restored it, I'd be forced to sell it anyway. sucks.

Corvanti
02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Too much, too far, too poor, too old, too tired, too many more pressing obligations. Ten years ago no problem.
Today. if I had it, restored it, I'd be forced to sell it anyway. sucks.

i know the feeling. BTDT $ wise from medical and ex issues, especially hurt having to sell the '40.:( i'm hoping my daughter will have to sell my '51 after i'm gone, since i doubt she would keep it...