Metallic skytop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic skytop

From Ricardo's description it sounds to me like the car has a roof made with metal strips more like a garage door (or a roll top desk) than a Wagonaire.

Jeff DeWitt
    Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

From Ricardo's description it sounds to me like the car has a roof made with metal strips more like a garage door (or a roll top desk) than a Wagonaire.

Jeff DeWitt
      Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I have some photos of a solid sliding sunroof on a 53-54 Studebaker. I don't know the story behind the photos, but they look like factory photos. There is nothing written on the back.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I have some photos of a solid sliding sunroof on a 53-54 Studebaker. I don't know the story behind the photos, but they look like factory photos. There is nothing written on the back.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

These cars were not Skytops, but were cars with a sliding metal sun roof. I do not believe that any, except in the 1930s, were made for US sale. I believe that the total number of original postwar sun roofs is very low. Some post sale conversions have also been done.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

These cars were not Skytops, but were cars with a sliding metal sun roof. I do not believe that any, except in the 1930s, were made for US sale. I believe that the total number of original postwar sun roofs is very low. Some post sale conversions have also been done.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That car has some other aftermarket features too. I've never seen that style of mirror on a hardtop before. The antenna looks like its mounted slightly different than a OEM one. Its farther outboard on the fender. Are there some sort of loop handles visible where the passenger side sun visor would be too?

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

That car has some other aftermarket features too. I've never seen that style of mirror on a hardtop before. The antenna looks like its mounted slightly different than a OEM one. Its farther outboard on the fender. Are there some sort of loop handles visible where the passenger side sun visor would be too?

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Isn't that Loewy's personal coupe? Seems to me I saw several pictures of that a long time ago--I think he exported it to France . . .

Comment

Isn't that Loewy's personal coupe? Seems to me I saw several pictures of that a long time ago--I think he exported it to France . . .

Comment

Yeah, with a "FRENCHED" antenna where else would ya send it? LOL!

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yeah, with a "FRENCHED" antenna where else would ya send it? LOL!

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Leonard Shepherd

Dear all:
                            The sliding roof in the Cruiser I have seen is very very similar to the photos posted by Leonard. I agree that it looks like a factory installation

Studebakerchile

Comment

Leonard Shepherd

Dear all:
                              The sliding roof in the Cruiser I have seen is very very similar to the photos posted by Leonard. I agree that it looks like a factory installation

Studebakerchile

Comment

Working...
                              X